Sunday, September 4, 2011

My Second-Last Day in London

Saturday, September 4, 2011
London

With less than 48 hours left before I departed from London, I was eager to fill them in with all sorts of pleasurable solo loitering. But, having made the discovery that I had left my credit card behind at Rymans stationery in Holborn last evening, I had no choice but to hop on a bus to get there and pick it up.

Cynthia made us a typical English Fry-Up for breakfast--scrambled eggs with chipolata sausages and bacon and toast--artery-clogging and heart-attack-inducing, but oh so yummy! Then, I was at the bus-stop chatting on my mobile with Rahul, one of Chriselle's friends, when I lost my concentration and took the wrong bus. Realizing my mistake immediately, I resolved to get off at the next stop, only to find myself staring directly at the walls of the Museum of London.

Of course, then my error seemed fated because seeing the newly-installed basement of the museum had been on my To-Do List (I had just wondered when to fit it all in). The museum had just opened for the day, so I raced downstairs and spent the next half hour viewing its newest highlights--of course, the piece de resistance is the spectacular stage coach of the Lord Mayor of London. I also saw Ann Fanshaw's 18th century dress that never allowed her to go through doorways (she had to be pushed through my her footmen!), Selfridges' amazingly decorative Art Deco elevator from the 1930s, a simply superbly evoked 'Victorian Walk' that included shop front windows from the era (they most certainly deserve more time to be done justice), a pashmina from Alexander McQueen, a Vespa scooter, and several other items. But then I heard an announcement stating that a guided Highlights tour would shortly be starting and I signed up for that with a guide named Kristy who took us on a walk through the museum through which the stirring history of this city was recounted. I know that I will return again to the Museum of London when I am here in January for it definitely deserves a much more leisurely browsing.

Then on the bus I went again to Rymans, where, thankfully, my credit card was waiting for me and after producing ID, it was handed back. With the sun pouring down and warming the city (maybe a little too much), I decided to take bus rides (as I have a weekly pass that allows me to take unlimited rides all week) through the city to enjoy its weekend buzz. However, I did make a detour at Foyle's bookstore because I really cannot leave London ever without browsing through its collection.

At Cambridge Circus, I took a bus again--this time headed to Chelsea and Sloan Square for the King's Road is one of my favorite streets in which to window-shop. I always alight at the Duke of York's Square where at the weekend, vendors put up stalls to showcase and sell their artisinal foods. I made a small meal on the cheeses, spreads, deli cured meats, drinks, breads and cookies that were handed out, then continued my window-shopping. It was all great fun and I had a quiet blast. In one of the shops, I actually found a vintage pleated skirt and quickly bought it so my shopping expedition wasn't entirely in vain.

Loathe to leave Chelsea's chic precincts, I hopped on a bus and a Tube train to make my way to Holborn to have tea with my friend Sushil Velu at his flat on Theobald's Road. I was seeing Sushil after two years and we had much to talk about and catch up on. Over lovely hot tea and a very spicy Punjabi samosa, we renewed our friendship and then I was bidding him goodbye and walking quickly to Holborn Tube station for my next appointment--this one with my Elphinstone College (Bombay) classmate Michelle. After an affectionate reunion, we walked along Kingsway together, took a bus up Fleet Street to St. Paul's, settled down at Paul's Patisserie for hot chocolate and a chocolate eclair and caught up. We have known each other since we joined college as undergraduates at 16. This past year has been a particularly challenging one for both of us so we were a little tearful at the end of our chat as we talked about so much that has happened. Michelle is a lawyer who works for British Parliament and I find her company endlessly fascinating as well as unfailingly amusing. But too soon, it was time for us to move on to our next appointments--she to the Southbank for dinner with friends and I, back home to Amen Court for my last dinner with my affectionate hosts, Michael and Cynthia.

Llew got online in Southport just before we sat for dinner and was able to Skype with me and the Colclough family. The event was so fascinating to the Colcloughs that I promised to try to hook them on to Skype so that we could have video conversations when I return to Southport. I found that Cynthia had cooked a Lamb Curry with Spinach in my honor and together we sat and ate a lovely meal. Though the knowledge that I would be leaving them tomorrow tugged at my heart strings, I know that I will see them and their lovely sons, Edward and Aidan, again in January--God willing, so I cheered up. After dinner, over Black Forest Gateau, I attempted to hook them on to Skype and was glad to have met with success! What a lovely evening we had! Indeed, what a superbly productive day I'd had--a museum visit, a leisurely ramble in a favorite London quarter, a bit of retail therapy, happy reunions with friends old and new and bus rides in the city of which I never tire.

Indeed, London has been, as always, a happy interlude for me en route home from India and I am happy to have had this unexpected opportunity to enjoy my favorite city at my leisure. Thanks for following my blog once more and for accompanying me on this sojourn. I will sign off now and say goodbye and will inform you the next time I resume my rumination from my Roost in London.

Cheers for now!

No comments: