Monday, January 12, 2009

Back 'Home' in London

Monday, January 2009
London

London slumbered under leaden skies as my Jet Airways aircraft landed at 7 am from Bombay. It was one of the speediest flights I can remember taking. Nine hours vanished in a blink as I slept soundly for almost six of them, then spent the last three watching The Duchess, a film I had wanted to see in the theater but missed. It was spellbinding from start to finish and I could see why comparisons were made between the spirited Georgina, Duchess of Devonshire in the late 18th century and Lady Diana Spencer, who just happened to be her descendant. Played quite splendidly by Kiera Knightley, the portrayal of the Duchess was one of sheer pathos that was matched scene for scene by Ralph Fiennes who played her callous and powerful husband, the Duke. Apart from the injustice that women, even aristocratic women, had to contend with in a hypocritical age that was rife with double standards, the film was extraordinary for its settings and locations and at the end of the movie, I took down the names of the various locales used during the shooting with the idea of visiting these estates.

I also saw the end of the Bollywood movie Taare Zameen Par--I had watched most of it en route to Bombay, two weeks ago, but we had landed in the city before I saw the heart warming denouement. As I sniffed my way through the two movies, my travel companions seemed bemused by my sadness. I can see why my mother is so much in love with Aamir Khan. As for me, I am no longer besotted by movie stars.

Jet Airways' Inflight service is just fabulous. I did not just feel well looked after, I felt positively pampered. Meals were substantial and delicious (yes, I know that this is airline food we're talking about here) and the crew were courtesy personified. Apart from the fact that my one bag took forever to get to the conveyor belt, my travel from Bombay to London was worry free. I tried calling my folks in Bombay to tell them that I had touched down safely but discovered that my cell phone was out of battery. It would be a while before I reached my flat and could charge it.

I took the Tube home, alighting at Holborn and choosing to walk the ten minutes to my place. London was predictably dreary though exceptionally mild. At the Krispy Kreme donuts shop right outside Holborn Tube station, free Americano coffee was being dished out and I gratefully joined the band of morning commuters to get my cup of Java which I nursed carefully on the walk along High Holborn. I was amazed at how much like Home London now feels to me. It was like returning to the embrace of a warm and trusted friend and as I arrived at the door of my building and had it opened by a welcoming Martha and Arben (janitor and concierge respectively), it seemed as if I have known them forever. It was wonderful. By 9.30, I was opening the door to my flat, just delighted to be back in this space that I have so grown to love.

I charged my cell phone and a little later was calling my Dad as well as Chriselle who happened to be at my brother Roger's place. Hearing her voice was heart breaking to me as was that of my nephew Arav's and I know that I will miss everyone of my immediate and extended family for the next few days as I settle down, once again, to my solitary life in this city.

Then, my chores began--there was a load of laundry to do and a suitcase to unpack. There was a boiler to be switched on again-- to do which Arben visited me briefly. There were 128 email messages to be downloaded and read and NYU email to be reviewed. Because I was not online in Bombay, I had so many things to catch up with. My friend and fellow Anglo-Indian scholar Blair Williams from New Jersey happens to be here in London. I shot off an email to him and before long we were talking on the phone and making plans to meet tomorrow for coffee. I felt full of beans, despite my long haul across Europe and it seemed like a good time to do some blogging. I stopped for a soup lunch then continued reading and responding to email.

I realize how much I enjoy the quietness of this flat and the fact that I can so purposefully get to work to accomplish my goals. In the process of unpacking, I found a set of house keys that Llew and I had misplaced during his November visit. That was one mystery solved. I had to rearrange my wardrobe a little bit to accommodate the clothes and pairs of shoes I picked up from Southport and carted off to India--mostly formal wear for the many weddings I attended.

Between unpacking and sorting and reorganizing my toiletries and medicines in the bathroom, the day passed by, rather unhurriedly. I miss my parents, Chriselle and Chris, my brothers and my nephew and niece (especially after I donwloaded my photographs and looked at the video clips I shot), but it is so good to be back. Despite the dullness of the weather, London felt oddly welcoming and I am slowly unwinding from what was a very emotional departure from Bombay.

Tomorrow is another day and I hope my spirits will feel lighter than they do today--and more rejuvenated. I have a week to spend as I wish before teaching begins next week and I really do want to use it productively. I have given myself one day (today) to unwind and get over jetlag, but it will be back to business for me with a vengeance tomorrow.

No comments: