Wednesday, October 3, 2018

A Day Spent Feeling Out of Sorts

Tuesday, October 2, 2018
Bombay

A Day Spent Feeling Out of Sorts

     Namaste from Bombay!
     Gandhi Jayanti, Anniversary of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi and a bank holiday, saw me waking with a dull headache and a general feeling of weakness. I dreaded the fact that it could be something serious--in India, even a slight fever is not to be trifled with--especially as the USIEF warned us, during our security briefing, of such things as dengue (caused by mosquitoes) which is on the rise.
     So, although I woke up at 5.00 am, I really wasn't able to get anything substantial done as I was feeling too out of sorts. Deciding instead to take my regular thyroid pill early and then waiting for a half hour (as I need to do) before eating or drinking anything, I got out of bed. Half an hour later, I had a cup of coffee and a slice of bread with peanut butter and took an ibuprofen pill for the headache. At that time, Chriselle called me and we had a long chat--somehow, after about twenty minutes of chatting with her, my headache receded. But I still had a dull body ache that sent me back to bed. I did not wake up again until about 9.00 am when I went in for a shower.  Naturally, I decided not to go for my daily exercise today. I would simply take it easy.
     A few phone calls followed with friends--Sanobar, a human rights lawyer in Bombay and a classmate of mine at Elphinstone College, was visiting from Poona and hoped to get together with me. We decided on tea at Bandra Gym in the afternoon (she called to cancel a little later as something cropped up). At about 10.00, I had a late full and proper breakfast of muesli but even that did not lift my spirits. Eventually, I decided to take it easy by reading, watching TV and staying generally non-productive.
     After lunch, I tried to take another nap and it was only after awaking from it that I started to feel better. My vitality returned and I got myself ready for the two appointments I would have the next day.
     In the evening, as usual, after hot tea and a Punjabi samosa, I dressed and went to my Dad's place to take a look at Russel who is holding up well. Then, Dad and I went to church for the 7.00 pm Mass after which I returned home, had my dinner, continued watching Tunnel and made an early night of it.
     A most unproductive day overall..
     Until tomorrow...

No comments: