Saturday, October 27, 2018

More Interviews with Goan Catholic Musicians and Lunch with a Former Student

Saturday, October 27, 2018
Bombay

More Interviews with Goan Catholic Musicians and Lunch with a Former Student

     Namaste from Bombay!
     As expected, I awoke on schedule (5.30 am) and began reading up old blogs, writing a new one and downloading the Magazine, Travel and Culture sections from The Sunday Times. For a change, I ate a croissant for breakfast--purchased last night from Candies. With Nutella on one side and peanut butter on the other and some coffee to wash it down, I had me a neat brekkie which has left me with a craving for more croissants. I am now on a mission to find me the best and most economical ones at walking distance from my home.  Then, I wore my gym clothes (shorts and a T-shirt for this weather with my sneakers) and walked towards an hour-long workout. En route, I ran into my cousin Brian who was returning from a swim.

Interview with Two Musicians:
     An hour later, after an enjoyable workout, I was ready for my next appointment--a meeting with two Goan Catholic musicians, Mark and Francis, who work with the Symphony Orchestra of India and who are full-time employed violinists at the National Center for the Performing Arts. They agreed to meet with me at the gym and at the appointed hour, there they were. I have to pause and comment on the fact that no one has kept me waiting in Bombay (so far) when it has come to keeping appointments. It appears that Indians have become far more punctual, far more respectful of other peoples' time and far more conscious of the fact that in the rest of the world, 8.00 am does not mean 8.20 am. I love it!
     We settled down with cups of tea for my two gentleman friends as I pulled out my notebook and began scribbling.  They spoke freely and gave me a ton of very interesting information. Plus they offered me insights into the recruitment of musicians for the Symphony Orchestra of India and the varied combination of factors that govern it. I found it all quite fascinating.  As I did in the UK,  ten years ago, I am thrilled at how much I am learning from each of the people I interview. I have another interview scheduled tomorrow with another musician--a younger one who conducts vocal music classes with her mother in Bandra. As the month of October draws in, I am delighted at the progress I have made. I can only look forward to continued success finding subjects for my research.

Lunch with a Former Student:
     Since we finished our interviews by 11.30 am, I had time to get home for a shower and to get dressed for my next appointment--lunch with my former student and now dear friend Soniya who was also coming to the gym to meet me.
     I am finding that becoming a member of the Bandra Gym was the most inspired idea I ever had. The place has become like a second home to me--apart from the fact that the gym provides me with a workout venue, it also allows me to find an office in lieu of my tiny studio which precludes the setting up of meetings (such as my morning's one) at home, plus it provides me with a very reasonably-priced venue for lunches or dinners with friends.
     Soniya was running fifteen minutes late--but she did text me and let me know. When she arrived, I signed her in and together we went up to the air conditioned coolness of the second floor restaurant. It is always good to see her--she is the sweetest, least complicated person I know. She had just returned from a business visit to Chicago and told me all about her experience there.  Soniya used to be my student--an English major--at Jai Hind College, about thirty years ago, and yet we have stayed closely in touch through the years. I told her how proud I was of her and what she has made of herself despite family adversity (she was widowed very young and  left with a 14 year daughter to raise as a single parent)--which was when she returned to the work place. Today, she is Head of Continuing Education in a hundred-year old American company that  manufactures hardware for hair-cutting, hair-styling, etc. (such as scissors, clippers, styling irons, etc.). In her position, she finds ways to market and promote products in various hair salons in Bombay and to educate personnel on their usage.    
      We settled down with fresh lemonades and then ordered lunch --I thought I would order Chinese for a change (as I had yet to taste the Chinese food on the menu). The Chinese Pad Thai Noodles I ordered were actually quite the least tasty item on the menu that I have ordered in this restaurant so far.  However, the Chicken Paprika on which Soniya's eyes alighted was absolutely delicious--served with herbed rice, it was a creamy concoction of chicken breast in a cheese sauce flavored generously with paprika. Really nice! For dessert, she chose serradura which the waiter described as "a Portuguese dessert"--it turned out to be layers of fresh cream and crushed cookies served in a parfait glass--it was good (I had a little taste) but I ordered the chocolate mousse which was to die for. Crammed with calories, we got up from the table and could barely walk on our way out!
     I said goodbye to Sonia who took a rickshaw home as I walked to my studio for a lie-down.  One long sleep later, I was awake and ready to do some more reading on my I pad. I downloaded the November issue of Waitrose magazine from the UK--my favorite food magazine from my favorite supermarket in the world! I skipped tea as I had overeaten at lunch.
    A little later, I called my foodie friend Marianel to find out from where I could buy good croissants in Bandra.  She recommended Hearsch and American Express Bakery--both of which are right opposite each other. I decided I would call to find out if they had any as it was 5.00 pm after all and most baked goods are swiped by this hour.  Hearsch did not respond to my call but the guy at American told me he did have four packets left--each containing two croissants.  I told him to reserve three packets for me and off I went. En route, I stopped off at Hearsch hoping to find one so that I could compare them--but they were all gone. At American, however, true to his word, the man had reserved my packets.  I hauled them off and walked to Dad's where I intended to spend a good part of the evening with Russel.
     Dad would be leaving for the 7.00 pm Mass but I have decided that I will attend the 9.15 am Mass on Sundays as I really did prefer it when I went last Sunday. I left them a packet of croissants for their breakfast tomorrow. Dad and I did visit together and when he left, I continued chatting with Russel.  He was in the midst of watching the cricket match between India and the West Indies--we did enjoy catching a part of it together.
     At 7.30 pm, I took my leave of Russel and got home to a video chat with Llew as we had to review my NYU Benefits Enrollment before the upcoming deadline. It was great to do this together and to catch up on  news.  The three of us, (Llew in Connecticut, Chrissie in Los Angeles and myself in Bombay) are simultaneously watching The Bodyguard, a thriller TV show that has taken the UK by storm. It is the third most watched TV series in a decade in Britain. Since it is on Netflix, we can all watch it together. I was keen to turn to Episode 2 as Llew has a head start over Chrissie and myself. It reminds Llew of Homeland but it also reminds me of MI5 (which was known as Spooks in the UK).
     When I rang off, I made myself a gin and tonic and switched on the TV for my weekend treat. It was already 8.45pm when Shahnaz texted me to find out if I would like to go out for dinner. I told her it was already too late, but how about tomorrow night? Then, I gave myself up to the exciting pleasure of the TV show as I sipped my drink and then ate my dinner. I also finished up my custard apple ice-cream. I cannot wait to buy the Dark Chocolate Ice-Cream from Giannis that my cousins raved about last night at Reuben's birthday party. I am craving everything chocolate all of a sudden!  
     It was about 10.15 when I was ready to go to bed with the realization that after almost two months in Bombay and in my studio, I am actually loving my life here. It is amazing how well I have adjusted to my new abode and my new city and how effortless the transition has been. I am so grateful to the Lord who has looked after my needs so generously and for bringing into my life a combination of close and extended family members and friends who provide me with so much fun company. I have truly found my niche here.
     Let us hope my life continues in this fulfilling vein and that I will continue to enjoy this sense of gratification.
     Until tomorrow...

No comments: