Sunday, October 28, 2018

Another Relaxed Sunday Rolls Around!

Sunday, October 28, 2018
Bombay

Another Relaxed Sunday Rolls Around!

     Namaste from Bombay!
     I have resolved to try to stay asleep till at least 5. 30 am daily. So although my body clock insists on waking me up at 4. 30 each day without fail, I roll over and try to return to sleep. A 5.30 am wake-up today allowed me to blog, read world news on Twitter plus browse through the weekend edition of The Times of London.
     However, I had also ear-marked today to do a thorough cleaning of my studio and bathroom and for the next 45 minutes, I was elbow deep in suds and paper towels, sponges and swabs as my place was left squeaky clean. I really do need the next person coming from the US to bring me a roll of Bounty--these local kitchen towels just disintegrate in my hand in seconds. They are horrid!
     As I am now going for a later Mass on Sundays (9.15 am), I was left with enough time to savor my croissants from American Express Bakery. I have to say that they were huge--two large ones in a packet. I do wish I had a toaster and could get a crisp crust on them as these had none--they were more like buns or rolls. Still, with Nutella and chopped nuts on one side and chunky peanut butter on the idea, I had a grand brekkie as I washed them down with coffee--only managed to eat one as they were that big. Then, I got dressed a tad formally and left for Mass.
     Mass done, I stopped at Dad's to leave a vada pau for Russel (which I pick up for him from the Meet and Greet station after Mass) and to read him the Notices for the Week. Russel likes to keep abreast with what is happening in church. I have now begun taking a picture of the Notices from the notice board and then reading them out to him on Sundays.  It is a small treat that he enjoys! I told them that I would be back for lunch.
     I got home to change and to relax--for some reason (probably a result of my cleaning spree), I felt a bit tired and needed a swift lie-down.  Then it was time to get dressed again (less formal this time) to go to do another interview.  Dawn, the young music teacher I hoped to interview was too ill to keep our appointment, but her grandmother Ivy was able to chat with me. So off I went to the appointed spot and for the next hour, I spoke to an 89 year old woman who gave me bits and pieces of information that she could recall. Sadly, her memory is clearly not what it used to be because there was very little she could remember. This makes me more certain than ever that my project is both timely and imperative as the performing arts' memories of a whole post-Independence generation will die with these folks who are now already in their 80s.
     I then walked to Dad's where he, Russel and I had lunch--he had ordered Chinese which supplemented the Chinese Pad Thai leftovers from yesterday's lunch at Bandra Gym that I took over to them.  We had Chicken Lollipops for starters with Chilli Chicken and Chicken Noodles. It was all delicious and made a nice change. After washing up, I left.  Dad is still a little tired and I told him that it will take a long while before his energy levels return to normal as a simple cough and cold can be so debilitating when one is his age. He is still continuing with his medication,
     Back home, I took a short nap and then continued reading The Sunday Times on my iPad.  As it is the end of October, I did not want to miss my monthly allowance of 5 videos that I am entitled to download and watch on my Hoopla app from my local Fairfield Library. So I downloaded the last two episodes of Tunnel--a fabulous crime thriller that involves detectives on both sides of the English Channel in an edge-of-the-seat series. I ended up watching one episode as I tucked into a pot of lemony tea and a big slice of Chocolate Swiss Roll that I picked up from Candies' yesterday. It was far better than I expected with its inner core of cream and raspberry jam.
     I then received a call from Dad to ask if I could return much before dinner time to keep Russel company. I told him I would have a shower and get there. When I did arrive there, I found that Russel had a visitor--my cousin Allan's daughter Meghan had arrived with her little boy James. He kept us hugely entertained throughout with songs and nursery rhymes. What an adorably talkative little fellow he is!  It was great to see Meghan and to catch up with her. Russel was delighted, of course, to find company.
     Dinner swiftly followed--basically we had some more of the Chinese food we'd ordered this afternoon. Chrissie called Dad for a long chat as we were finishing dinner--so I said goodbye and went back home.
     I watched Episode 3 of The Bodyguard  and ate some fig ice-cream for dessert before calling it a night.  The show is getting more intriguing with each episode--and it is fun to discuss it together as a family as we watch it in three different parts of the world.
     I had a very relaxing day--but I have my work cut out for me tomorrow as I transcribe three interviews that are pending, make some calls for more interview appointments for the coming week and reserve the evening for a meeting with Russel's orthopedist as a month has passed since his sutures were removed  We need to find out what arrangements will have to be made going forward with the removal of his fiberglass plaster and further surgery for his knee.  Tomorrow promises to be a very busy day spent working at home.
     Until tomorrow...

No comments: