Sunday, February 10, 2019

A Red Letter Day for Russel and Attending Concert by the Symphony Orchestra of India

Saturday, February 9, 2019
Bombay

A Red Letter Day for Russel and Attending Concert by the Symphony Orchestra of India

     Namaste from Bombay!
     Today was a singularly important day in Russel's life and one in which Dad and I were very happy to participate. Russel was all set to have his plaster cast removed after exactly four months. Oh happy day!
     I awoke at about 6.30am and had my breakfast of muesli and coffee before I had a shower and left for Dad's place. Russel had an ambulance coming over to Dad's place at exactly 10.00 am for our 10.30 am appointment at Holy Family Hospital in the Endoscopy Department. The orthopedist Dr. Derrick D'Lima had asked me to remind him at 8.00 am about our 10.30 am appointment--which I did!
     You could tell that Russel was a bundle of nerves but trying hard to keep calm. He is always afraid that a trip to the hospital means that he will be made to stay there. This time, of course, all it involved was the removal of his plaster cast. Dr. Parth Patel, his usual intern, who happened to be there as soon as we arrived at the Endoscopy Department, took Russel in right away and attended to the removal of the cast really quickly. He told us that there was not much fluid accumulated in his knee at all--the mass is muscle mass that has grown since the removal of the synovectal layer--which is normal. He told us that Russel was in good shape and there was no reason to worry at all. Phew! The light at the end of the tunnel finally shone brightly upon us all.
     I did the running around involved in paying for the ambulance and the medical procedure for the day. Dr D'Lima arrived about a half hour later, reviewed the procedure, found it done well and instructed us to make sure that Russel walks at home. He says that he should attain increasing mobility daily. There is a lot of dark dead skin that has grown under the cast, but this is easily removed with a good hot bath. With instructions on how to obtain a knee brace for Russel, we were off and away by ambulance again.
     By 11.00 am, much to Russel's relief, we were back home. Russel was ecstatic and so thrilled to be relieved of the appendage that he carried around so patiently for so long. He says that there is no pain or discomfort whatsoever. Now it only remains to get him to start walking without the walker--which he is able to do, and to get back to his normal life again--prior to the arthritis, if possible. I need to investigate the buying of a knee brace for him--one that has an adjustable hinge to enable him to flex his knee and get walking.
     I thank you all for your prayers on Russel and Dad's behalf and I ask you to continue to keep him in your prayers now that the rehab has begun. It is our fondest hope that Russel will be back to his normal life again.

Back Home to Work:
     I got back home earlier than expected. Having had a lousy night (unable to sleep until almost 2.00 am), I had an early hunch (Valerie's tiffin is still going strong) and then tried to have a nap. I managed a 20 minute nap and then sat down to transcribe the interview I did with Merlin D'Souza. I was not able to finish it, however, as I had to get dressed for my evening's activity.I swallowed a quick cup of tea and ate a slice of cake to sustain me through the journey into the city.

Off to the Symphony:
     I had been given a complimentary ticket by the Director of the NCPA, Khushroo Suntook, to attend the concert to be given this evening in the Tata Theater by the Symphony Orchestra of India whose members I have been interviewing over the past few months. This evening was especially thrilling for me as they were playing Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and while I have heard individual movements of it over the years, especially the final movement which contains the famous Ode to Joy, I do not believe that I have ever heard it in its entirety.
     The auditorium was packed to capacity and I was delighted to find that I had superb seats on the same row as Khushroo and Marat Bissangaliev, Director of the Orchestra. The evening began with a swift introduction to the work by Zane Dalal (whom I had interviewed yesterday) who told us that since Beethoven was the special love of the benefactor of the NCPA, Dr. Jamshed Bhabha, this performance was being dedicated to him. How wonderful! How grand to be remembered in this fashion, years after you have passed on, for the glorious legacy of music that you have left for the beloved city of your birth to enjoy! How lucky are Bombayites to be the recipients of such a bequest!

Listening to the Symphony Orchestra of India:
     The concert was simply superb. Conducted by Martyn Brabbins who is one of the world's best conductors at this time, it started with Beethoven's Choral Fantasy, Opus 80. which was written just before his Ninth Symphony and which many believe to be a forerunner to the great work as a result of the similarity of the themes.  The solo pianist was Andreas Haefliger who was just brilliant. At the end, the chorus that comprised the Khazak State Philharmonic Capella and the Living Voices from Bombay led by their choral director, Blossom Mendonca, came into their own to present a soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor and baritone. Haefliger ended with a huge flourish bringing all the thunder and power of Beethoven's most characteristic sounds to his finale. He received a great ovation after which a 15 minute intermission was announced.
     I had been invited to what is called the 'Museum', a cordoned off private area, for the enjoyment of refreshments and I was very happy to meet Khushroo and thank him personally for the gift of the ticket. I also met Marat and had a word with him as I snacked on paneer sandwiches, egg sandwiches, chutney and vegetable sandwiches,  cheese sticks, corn fingers and a glass of white wine. This would very likely be my dinner as I did not know what time I would get back home and if I would have any energy left to eat. I met a couple of other folks there with whom I made casual conversation--including the lady who was seated by my side and who told me her name was Anjali.

The Thrill of Listening to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony:
     The second half of the program comprised the four movements of Beethoven's Symphony Number 9 in D minor, Opus 125. Once again, the power of this wonderful orchestra was evident in the virtuosity of the instrumentalists and the choral section which was huge under the baton of Brabbins. The stage was crammed as more than 200 performers crowded it for our listening pleasure. Needless to say, the last movement which contains the Ode to Joy is always a profoundly stirring piece of music and I am hard pressed to decide whether this one or Handel's Hallelujah Chorus is for me the most moving of the two. They got a standing ovation which they more than deserved as we left the auditorium and made our way out into the absolute pleasantness of a February evening in Bombay.
 
Back Home:
     Just as I was wondering if I would be fortunate enough to find a cab, I found myself walking alongside Anjali. I asked her where she was headed and how and she told me that she had a car with a driver parked near the Oberoi Hotel. I asked her if she could give me a ride up to Churchgate Station and she said that she would be more than happy to oblige. And so it was that I was dropped off to the train station. In no time at all, I was on the train and then on a bus and home by 10.00 pm. I was a bit hungry when I got back, so I did have a cup of soup and some Waldorf Salad and some ice-cream. I was too tightly wound up after such a terrific evening of classical music that it took me a while to wind down for bed.
     But what a day it had been! Russel's triumph and then this stupendous performance! My cup of happiness runneth over...
     Until tomorrow...          

No comments: