Thursday, February 14, 2019

Russel Gets a New Physiotherapist and Discovering Broad Street Webcam in Oxford

Wednesday, February 13, 2019
Bombay

Russel Gets a New Physiotherapist and Discovering Broad Street Webcam in Oxford

     Namaste from Bombay!
     I must pat myself on the back because I have managed to get to the gym for three days in a row! This is primarily because I have no interviews scheduled these days and can spend time at home catching up with pending tasks on my laptop. So after blogging and downloading The Times, I had my breakfast of muesli and coffee and left for the gym for a good workout of an hour. I was barely home for an hour, however, during which time I showered and began drafting a new grant application, when my Dad called to tell me that Russel's new physiotherapist was expected at about 11.45 am. So off I went to meet him.

Russel's Gets a New Helper:
     The new physiotherapist is called Valerian D'Souza. He has a completely different personality from Lenita whose care Russel was under for a long while. He inspired instant confidence in us as he started off by getting Russel's history. He seemed to have assessed the situation in no time at all based on his obvious vast experience.
      First of all, he said that Russel needs a cotton box cushion with removable slip-cover and tabs for tying to his chair to raise the seat level and make sitting and standing more comfortable for him. He also told me to get four pavers from the compound outside to heighten the sofa--also to enable him to stand and sit more easily. Next, he made Russel stand and realized instantly that he needs to develop balance and stability--as the lack of those probably caused him to fall in the first place. Then he put Russel through a few basic preliminary exercises--walking sideways, walking backwards using the walker, standing on his toes and rocking, standing on his heels and rocking. He made him catch a small cushion and throw it back--to develop agility and easier movement. He told me to buy a ball that he can play with. He assessed the swelling on his legs and said that a tight crepe bandage wound around his legs for 8 hours a day will bring the swelling down in a few days. He told me to come to his clinic and pick up the bandages tomorrow morning--which I shall do. He told Russel to do a page of daily writing. I was amazed at how much he achieved in the space of an hour.
     It is clear to me that he knows what he is doing and that he is good at it. He is expensive and has an aggressive personality which is exactly what Russel needs to get him moving and to accomplish the level of mobility that will bring him independence again. Both Dad and I felt very satisfied after this single meeting with him. We continue to pray that he will use his expertise and professionalism combined with the power of prayer to bring Russel back to normal again.

Back Home for Lunch and More Work:
   Back home, I got a call from my landlord to tell me that the plumber would be with me very shortly. He arrived in five minutes, assessed the situation with my kitchen choke and brought his men to begin work on it.  They were at it for an hour and told me that they would return tomorrow at noon to continue the work. I was pleased to know that it had already begun. I have been told not to use my sink which is a matter of great inconvenience to me as my wash basin in my bathroom is so tiny that it can hardly take the place of my sink. Still, I hope that the issue will be taken care of tomorrow and I will not have to deal with this stress.
     After the plumbers left, I had my lunch: Valerie's chicken curry, lady fingers and snake gourd with a sweet lime for dessert. While eating, I watched excerpts of travel shows in Great Britain and with it, when I got to Oxford, I made a massive discovery. I found out about the existence of a live webcam on Broad Street in Oxford! This is the next best thing to actually being there in person! It offers a fantastic view (throughout the day and night) of most of the iconic buildings of this glorious university town--the Clarendon Building, The Sheldonian Theater gates with their sculpted Roman faces and the entrance to the Museum of Science. Across the road is the new Weston Library, its steps and entrance, and on the same side of the street adjoining it is the entrance to Blackwell's Book Store and the White Horse Tavern. Further down the street adjoining the Science Museum is Exeter College and the newer building (dating from the 1960s) that forms its Margary Quad, the entrance to Turl Street and then the cluster of shops that include the Oxford Tourism Office, the Oxfam charity shop and the little cafe that in the summer places its tables and chairs on the street at the spot where the actual burning of the martyrs Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley took place! I am looking at one of the most historic streets in the whole world in one of my most beloved cities! And it is all here,  right in my own living room! What a find! I am beyond excited! Tomorrow I shall switch it on from 6.00 am Local UK time and watch the entire day develop on the Broad!
     I then took a 20 minute nap and continued working on my grant application right up to 5.15 pm and was almost done when my cousin Blossom called looking for a chat. We were on the phone for a good half hour before I excused myself to have a cup of tea and two pecan and cranberry shortbread biscuits before I left for Dad's.
     I did not visit with Russel for long as I had to leave for the Novena followed by Mass after which Dad and I walked together as far as his gate and caught up on everything that had happened today.
     I then got home and put my dinner together--chicken curry, dal and more ladies fingers with the last of my pomelo and some dark chocolate for dessert. I began watching Did you Hear About the Morgans with Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker, but had to stop as Shahnaz called and we were on the phone for a very long time. I will continue watching it tomorrow.
     Until tomorrow...

No comments: