Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Drafting Another Conference Presentation (for Nagpur)

Monday, February 18, 2019
Bombay

Drafting Another Conference Presentation (for Nagpur)

     Namaste from Bombay!
     Today was one of those days that I spent chained almost exclusively to my computer---but I had to get down to business as I have two presentations to drafts in the next three days! This is something of a record for me!
     But I was awake at about 6.45 am (getting later each day--thankfully!) when I hastened to blog and download some magazines using my Flipster app on my iPad, so that I can do some reading while I am on the machines at the gym. I had my breakfast of muesli and coffee (no broons for a few days as my weighing scale is certainly showing the effect of such indulgence!). Then, I dressed for the gym and went straight to Dad's place to do the dressing of Russel's wound. I found that it is getting better with each day--so today I did not need to use the roller bandage--just the two tight crepe bandages (to bring down the swelling) which I have asked them to leave on for 8 hours--as suggested by Valerian, his physiotherapist. I did not stay long as my gym closes by 11.00 am--so off I went.
     At the gym, I now have a good collection of friends and so I no longer feel like a stranger when I enter it.  They never fail to discuss American politics with me (right now, it is Trump's declaration of emergency over the Wall issue, the accession of Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris as likely Democratic candidates, etc.) I used the machines as usual, did a bit of weight lifting through the rowing machine and sweating profusely, I made my way back home. I still feel so grateful that I found this fabulous studio that allows me to get around to all the places I frequent in less than 6 minutes on my own two feet--how completely the Lord and His Blessed Mother blessed me!
    A quick shower later, I got down to work. I continued with the drafting of my presentation for the conference on 'Race, Caste and Gender' at the University of Nagpur where I shall be flying on Thursday morning. I had already begun yesterday--so I had about 6 pages done. My presentation will deal wth 'Dilemmas of Race, Caste and Gender Among Britain's Anglo-Indians'. I continued from there and stopped only for lunch at 1.00 pm: Valerie's new meal had arrived--mince with potatoes, brinjal and dal--a good healthy simple meal that I finished off with an orange and a piece of guava.
     Back to the drawing board, I continued working steadily. I have my new TV 'balcony' on Broad Street, Oxford, which I switch on at 1.30 pm local Bombay time which is 8.00 am Oxford time. The town is just waking up to a new day and I feel as if I have transported myself to work in one of my most beloved places in the world--today it was raining when the day began and people could be spied raising umbrellas over them. It cleared up by the afternoon when folks filled the streets--so many of them are school groups trooping into the Museum of Science, clearly on field-trips. The Oxford City Sightseeing Hop On Hop Off bus makes its rounds every fifteen minutes each day and stops outside the Sheldonian Theater to pick up and drop off passengers. I feel as if I am sitting in the Indian Institute Library overlooking Broad Street, Oxford, and drafting my papers. It is amazing how well we can live in our own imaginations, isn't it?
     At 4.30 pm, I tried to take my 20 minute nap, only to be awoken by Dad who told me that Russel's left hand is paining--probably a result of overdoing the exercises with the throwing of the ball that Valerian had recommended. It is possible that those were overdone--too much, too quickly. Dad told me to text Valerian to tell him not to come tomorrow as he would like to give Russel some rest. I told him that I would come before Mass and take a look at it.
     I continued working on my presentation and almost finished it. It just needs a bit of tweaking which I shall do tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I began work on the Powerpoint presentation that I shall be making at the podium to accompany my text. I am also amazed at myself: at how quickly I can throw these Powerpoint presentations together now. This too was almost finished when I found myself feeling hungry.
     I stopped for a quick cup of tea, a piece of chocolate cake (Valentine's Day gift from Llew) and a single shortbread biscuit (Walkers, with pecans and cranberries--I love them and must get some more!) and then I dressed and left for Mass. I had only ten minutes with Russel which allowed me to take a look at his arm.  As Dad and I walked to Mass, I told him that I would return to his place after Mass to put some Moov on Russel's arm and then wrap it in the electric heating pad that Dad owns and that Llew and I also use whenever we have muscle pulls, catches, etc.
     And that was exactly what I did. I also found that Russel's leg was quite swollen; so I put on the twin crepe bandages again and put the Moov on his arm with the electric pad. He found it quite soothing. I will do the same tomorrow as well.
     Next, I helped Dad set up the new potty chair that I had picked up a month or so ago from a lady who lives across Bandra Gym who had a brand-new one to give away. It was very easy indeed to set up and to adjust, height-wise, to fit Russel.  The idea is to get him to start using it now that he is mobile again and from there to graduate to the toilet once again. It is amazing how his recovery is being planned in baby steps. Hopefully, he will be back to his normal life again soon. Meanwhile, things are shaping up well with the new domestic help, Rohit--so far, so good. let us hope he will continue to do well. There is a major change of guard in the offing with regards to Dad's helpers at home--and we are both praying hard that this 'angel' will also be a boon to us as the ones in the past have been.
     I got back home to have my own dinner--a repeat of the afternoon--while I watched Couples Come Dine With Me and Grace and Frankie. Then, I was feeling very sleepy pretty early--so by 10.00 pm, I switched the light off and fell asleep feeling quite content about the amount of work I had managed to accomplish today.
     Until tomorrow...    

No comments: