Friday, July 5, 2019

Friday brings the Week to a Very Tame Close

Friday, July 5, 2019
Bombay

Friday brings the Week to a Very Tame Close

     Namaste from Bombay!
     The rain pours on! It is intermittent, it is heavy, it is unpredictable. But the temperature is now delightful and air-conditioning is a thing of the past--thankfully, electricity consumption will decline and our bills will be lighter. It has been the best wad of rupees I ever paid however, for I simply reveled in the modern convenience of the AC and would, probably, have gone insane in the summer heat but for this amenity--for which I feel very blessed.
     I was craving my muesli again--so although I do have bread and spreads I would like to finish in the fridge before I leave this studio to pack my bags for the US, I indulged in muesli and coffee for brekkie. Then I sat down to draft my blog post while it bucketed down outside. Then the moment there was a lull, I decided to nip out to the gym--yes, the gym...after a very long time.
     I tied on my sneakers and left and was greeted like a long-lost buddy at the gym where everyone asked me where I had been. It was like a grand homecoming! I should stay away more often...nothing like the affection you feel when people have missed you for a long time to make you feel loved and wanted. For me, this is all the more sweet a sentiment as I did not know a soul when I walked into this gym, ten months ago--everyone was a stranger. It is amazing how swiftly I have made 'gym friends' over almost a year and how free-wheeling are our conversations. Today, they wanted to talk to me about Trump's July Fourth Parade in DC.
    Gym done, I got home for a shower and for more reading. I am trying hard to finish The Cuckoo's Calling. Even at the very end of the book, I cannot figure out whodunit--always the mark of a good mystery. I also sat on the phone and made a few work-related calls.
     I then completed one more chore/task in my efforts to get myself ready for my big move from this studio by taking stock of the contents of my refrigerator so that I have a good sense of what I need to finish up in the next 3 weeks and what I should think of giving away. I now need to move on to my pantry and take stock of my one drawer and two shelves that have some of my dry supplies.
     When lunch time came around, I put together a plate based on Valerie's offerings: chicken curry, chole, stewed brinjal (aubergine, eggplant--you can call it what you will) and chapati with fresh mango for dessert. While eating, I watched an episode, on You Tube, of a series of travel videos called Joolz Guides. I had never seen this before (it is a whole series), so I was delighted that I chanced upon the episode that presented Lamb's Conduit Street which is literally just five minutes away from where my flat was located when I lived in Central London's Holborn. It took us to places I know well and that I dearly love but are way off the beaten tourist track.
     First of all, he stood right outside my doctors clinic--the Holborn Medical Center--where I was treated so often during the year I struggled with plantar fasciitis. He left out Persephone Books--one of my favorite places in London and one of the most unusual book shops in the city.  However, he did get into Dickens' House on 48 Doughty Street, to the Foundling Museum opposite Coram Fields, to Brunswick Center (where the Waitrose that I most frequented is located), to Russel Square with its ornate Russel Hotel and Great Ormond Children's Hospital to which J.M. Barry left all his earnings from Peter Pan, to Tavistock Square in Bloomsbury where the bohemian writers who clustered around the Stevens' siblings (Virginia, Vanessa, Adrian, Toby) lived and produced their stunning masterpieces of art and literature, and to a lesser-known crossroads close by where the Beatles posed for a cover of one of their records (and I do not mean the famous Abbey Road crossing), to the British Museum which was right outside the New York University Building in which I had my office.What a fantastic video! Anytime I feel homesick for my life in London, I know exactly which video to watch on You Tube.     
     Later in the afternoon, I watched another episode of McCallum with the very dishy (and very young John Hannah)--the year was 1996-97 as I saw from a calendar that was visible in one of the shots. It was superb--deeply absorbing. Before I knew it, it was almost 3.30pm. I read a bit more and when my eyes closed, I took my nap--20 traditional minutes and I was done.
     The rain continued all day in erratic spurts. Meanwhile, plans were finalized with some of my former students from Jai Hind College (where I had taught absolutely decades ago) to meet at Rashida's place for lunch tomorrow. We had a lovey long chat on the phone, she and I, and I requested her to make me sheer korma--this is the vermicelli payassam that the Muslim Bohris traditionally make for Ramzan Id. As I missed it this year (being in South America), I did not receive the offerings I would most certainly have from my many Muslim neighbors. So it will be good to be able to partake tomorrow.   
     It was almost time for tea--so I had a pot with half a chocolate eclair and a biscuit from M and S. And then I was dressing and going over to Dad's. We spent about 45 minutes together and yes, I did manage to help Russel get over his fears of using the wheelchair! With Rohit's  and Dad's help, it was really easy and we took him outside to the living room where he was very comfortable in his usual spot. Now, I know that he can sit there during my birthday party (and his, a week from Monday) and be a part of it too. Such a huge relief. Rohit knows well how to manipulate the chair--so I do not think it will be tough to get Russel to enjoy the rest of the flat instead of being confined to his bed or bedroom.
     Dad and I then left for church and despite the slight drizzle that we braved, we made it there and back. I then went back to Dad's to make sure that Russel was able to get back on to his bed from his wheelchair without too many problems. And it was fine! It seems as if he will now easily get on and off the wheelchair to be wheeled around the house.
     I returned home and got my own dinner organized: some more steak with grilled vegetables (part of my sizzler)  and salad from Candies with a bowl of chocolate ice-cream to follow. While eating, I watched a movie on Netflix--London Has Fallen. It was simply superb. Starring Gerald Butler, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman, it was about a city-wide terrorist attack that shakes up London where the target is the visiting American President. The filming was just amazing and I had a chance to see some of my favorite London landmarks and places I knew really well being wantonly blown up--that was not easy.
     I feel asleep at about 11.00 pm and with that the week came to a close. Hello Weekend!
     Until tomorrow... 

No comments: