Thursday, July 25, 2019

A Doctor's Visit for Dad and Lunch with Friends at Bandra Gymkhana

Wednesday, July 24, 2019
Bombay

A Doctor's Visit for Dad and Lunch with Friends at Bandra Gymkhana

     Namaste from Bombay!
     Today will be the start of my last week in my studio. With about 60% of my packing done, I am in good shape---but, no one is more aware than I am, that no matter how well you plan, the last-minute packing ALWAYS causes stress because there are some things that simply cannot be packed in advance.
     I blogged, had my breakfast (muesli and coffee) and listened to my audio book for an hour when I got a call from Dad telling me that at about 10.30 am, he started feeling that heaviness in his head again. He wondered whether I could accompany him to the doctor and, of course, I dropped everything and went to his place. A little later we were at the doctor's dispensary.
     The doctor did not find anything wrong, prima facie, with Dad. His heart beat and blood pressure were excellent, his motor reactions perfect. He believes it might be vertigo. He gave Dad his second shot in a series of multi-vitamin abd B Complex injections and told him to come once a week for the next 7 weeks to take the course. Dad and I returned home to his place.
     While Dad was chatting to the doctor, I got a call from my internet man, Subhash. I discussed the possibility of transferring my internet account to Dad's home and he told me that it could be done easily. He also told me that he has a man who does CCTV installation and he asked whether he could send him over to Dad's to survey the property. This conversation took a few minutes after which Dad was done with his doctor's visit and we made our way home. I dropped Dad home and walked immediately to the pharmacy to purchase the cough medication that the doctor also prescribed for Russel.
     On my way back, I ran into Gora's Aunt Kermaan whom we call Kakoo (which means Aunty). She was visiting Gora's place but when she stopped and asked me how Russel was doing, I invited her to visit him. She came over to Dad's place and was with Russel briefly--for about 10 minutes. It was so nice of her to make the time despite a very hectic schedule.  It amazes me how busy everyone is in Bombay.  Everyone seems to have so much going on in their lives at any given time. Its quite crazy.
     When Kakoo left, I left too and returned home to continue corresponding with folks in connection with my departure from here (Fulbright folks for my ticket, friends in London, Oxford,  etc.) I had about 20 minutes only before I had to hurry off for my lunch appointment.

Lunch with Friends at Bandra Gym:
     I had made plans to have lunch with my friends Jeevan and Liz from Worli who have been treating me to meals and inviting me to their home very frequently although we have met only very recently  Despite the constant rain--it has been a very wet few days--they were there before me (although I was not late).
     We made our way up to the restaurant where we settled down with drinks--a mojito for me, a diet coke for Liz and a vodka and soda for Jeevan. There was only a handful of other people in the place. It was great to see them and catch up with them as we ordered: Fettucine Chicken Alfredo, Rosemary Roast Chicken which came with Garlic bread, mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables and a Greek Salad. Liz passed on dessert but Jeevan had caramel custard and I had chocolate ice-cream with chocolate sauce. It is difficult to have a bad meal at the Bandra Gym where their catering outfit is second to none.
     To my delight, my friend Anil walked in to have a light lunch himself. I was delighted because I had thought of inviting him too! He excused himself and sat at another table as he had some important work to do while eating. But he did join us for dessert at the very end and we enjoyed a wonderful chat together. So overall, it turned out to be the best way to spend a very damp afternoon.
They dropped me back home but I did not do any more packing as I had work to do on my laptop.
     I did not even stop for a cup of tea as I got dressed and headed to Dad's place. I had forgotten but today is Wednesday and the novena precedes Mass. So I barely had about fifteen minutes to visit with them before I had to leave for church. Dad looked so much better and Russel was seated in the living room on his wheelchair which made me very happy.
     Mass was said by Fr. Frazer Mascarenhas, a well-known educationist and retired Principal of St. Xavier's College. His reflection was brief but meaningful and I am enjoying every one of the sessions of this feast novena to St. Anne. When it ended, one Mrs. Joseph dropped me off to my building and I got ready for dinner: the last of my tiffin from Valerie and the last of my salad from Candies with mango for dessert.
     I watched a bit of TV but was too sleepy to see an entire episode before I fell asleep.
     Until tomorrow...   

No comments: