Thursday, July 27, 2023

Goodbye Bombay, Hello London: Delighted to be Back in T'Smoke!

Goodbye Bombay, Hello London

Thursday, July 27, 2023

I left Bombay on a weepy day, at the very crack of dawn. Llew was nursing what seemed like the flu, but managed to accompany me to the lobby of our building, as I went in search of a rickshaw to get me to Sahar International Airport. I was lucky to find one on the main road in minutes and less that half an hour later, after I had bid Llew goodbye, I entered the airport precincts, ready to launch on another new travel adventure in my favorite roost in the world, London.

Smooth Check-in and Flight:

I have flown by Virgin Atlantic before and I have to say that I have no reservations about the airline. Check-in was very smooth and with Junaid at the desk, I was immediately upgraded to Economy Delight--it offered wider seats and more leg room--certainly welcome on a flight that would last nine hours. However, when I discovered that my new upgraded seat would be on the wing, I graciously declined the offer and found myself at a window seat that was far from the wing, would allow me to take pictures of the take off from Bombay and landing in London and left the middle seat free--ah the bliss of being able to spread out! I also had a very friendly companion named Yogesh with whom I had a friendly conversation when he was not asleep and I was not engaged with the in-flight entertainment. I watched one good movie, Banshees of Inisherin, a really hauntingly beautiful film by Martin McDonaugh starring Colin Farrel (in a superb perfomance) and Brendan Gleeson (whose work I have always loved). Set on the Aran Islands off the mainland of Ireland, the stark cinematography echoes the bleak plot line that focusses on the loss of male friendship and its tragic outcome.

Taking off from Bombay meant that in literally seconds, we were up in thick Southwest monsoon clouds and, to my annoyance, the cabin crew on the flight montor passenges' ability to darken or lighten the automatic window screens. This meant that I was unable to take pictures of the passing landscape below me, as I had desired, but I did get some lovely video on our landing in London on a thickly overcast afternoon at 4.00 pm. Food on the flight was plentiful but largely tasteless; but one does not expect too much of airline meals anyway.

Arrival in London:

Disembarking in London is now a breeze for US passport holders as one is not required to stand in a snaking Immigration queue but is out of the automatic scanning booths in seconds. My baggage (two large but fairly light cases--as I am traveling without very much) emerged about a half hour after landing and I began my journey into Central London with a fair bit of trepedation.

It was going to be a long and fairly arduous journey but I trusted my experience and ability to habndle it. I bought a week's Travelcard from the machine at Heathrow airport's Piccadilly Line Tube station and with it, I have unlimited access to tube and buses in every zone (not that I need all of them). There was a train just arriving on the platform when I arrived there (mercifully, there was a lift) and into it I hopped, all ready for the 40 minute ride to South Kensington where I would get off.

However, once I got off at South Ken, I was in trouble as there was no elevator in sight. Luckily, very helpful communters assisted me with one case and I was able to handle the other. A member of the Underground staff informed me where I could find a taxi stand and, to my amazement, it was right in the middle of the road! A helful cabbie came forward to assist me again and in minutes, I was in his black cab heading to Battersea to the home of my friend Sarah Raynor where I shall be staying for the next three nights. To our horrid luck, however, we hit end of office-day traffic and we crept through Kensington and Chelsea. Just before Albert Bridge that we intended to cross, we discovered that a lorry whose dirver misjudged the widst of his vehicle, got stuck on the barrier and ended up closing off the entire bridge to the rest of the mounting traffic behind. We lost a lot of time while my cab meter climbed ever higher! I ended up paying almost 35 pounds for a 20 pound journey--much to my annoyance! My cabbie took Battersea Bridge instead and more than an hour later, I was at Sarah's door--the longest cab ride ever!.

Typical English Dinner at Sarah's:

Sarah showed me up to my room on the first floor and helped me carry my cases up. She was expecting a friend called Didey any minute--a dinner guest--who turned out to be delightful company. I had a lovely G and T placed in my hand and with nibbles (nuts, ham and cheese), we chatted a bit before we made our way to Sarah's lovely warm kitchen with its center table, all laid out for our meal.

Sarah described her meal as "typically English" and it was just scrumptious: Cauliflower Cheese (which I love) with thick juicy slices of Gammon folloewd by Comte cheese, crackers and grapes and dessert (English strawberries with salted caramel ice-cream). Such a perfect entry into London on such a nice summer's evening. My friend Ros (Sarah's sister) called later in the evening to find out if I had arrived safely. We said a quick hello and hope to meet tomorrow.

I discussed my plans for tomorrow with Sarah who showed me the adjoining bathroom outside my room and the use of the shower and after a very cozy evening, I said bye to my friends and adjouned upstairs as it was almost 3.00 am Bombay time (and yet, funnily enough, I was still full of beans!)

It was a good entry into London (although I could have done without the Albert Bridge annoyance and the traffic!) and I looked forward to a really wonderful week of re-discovery of the city.

Until tomorrow...cheerio!

No comments: