Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Most Productive Birthday!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009
London

So I awoke at 6. 30 am to the realization that it was my birthday! This is not the first time I have had a birthday in a foreign country while entirely on my own. Twenty-two years ago, I was in Oxford on July 8 and not a single soul knew that it was my birthday! This time round, my cell phone did not stop ringing and I was delighted to hear from Bombay, the USA, Canada and friends right here in London who called, sent me e-cards as well as conventional cards. It was great and I certainly did not feel alone. At 8. 30 am, Isobel arrived to get on with her secretarial work for Paul and she was the first person to wish me.

I had little time to dawdle, though, as I had made plans to have my bureau-desk transported to Acton today through Headley's Humper. Llew's friend had loaned me his car with a driver and he arrived at 11.00 am which left me a good hour to edit my Oxford lecture. With the help of some carpet fitters who are currently working in the building, we got the desk into the back seat of the car in three minutes flat and rather effortlessly at that.

We had horrendous traffic all the way to Acton. But when we did get there, at about 1. 30 pm, I had the most nightmarish experience you can imagine. I mean, it was surreal. That same desk that had taken two guys almost no time to put into the car took eight blokes and about twenty minutes to get out! Believe me, I almost fell down on my knees in prayer as they struggled and huffed and puffed and tried to get the thing out of the doors. We tried everything: we moved both the car seats forward, we pressed down on the seat cushions to make more room, they attempted just about every trick in the book--all to no avail. In desperation, I began praying and then just when I thought there was no possible way to get it out, someone came up with the bright idea of duplicating in reverse the manner in which it had been fitted in. And that finally did it! Voila! The desk slid out and I could breathe freely again. As I said, it was a nightmare!

The silver lining to this awful cloud was that the gentleman who assisted me in the office upstairs, one Sega, was marvelously cooperative and made my life very easy indeed as I obtained a receipt from him. We were on the road in about a half hour and in less than twenty minutes, we were in Central London again--this time the traffic spared us!

I was dropped at Waitrose at Brunswick Square as I wanted to buy a load of supplies for dinner. I had invited my former neighbors Tim and Barbara over for dinner and they were expected about 7. 30 pm. I had a bit of a lie-down before I started putting together my no-cook menu:

1. Mesclun Salad with Grapefruit, Croutons and Toasted Goat Cheese with Citrus Vinaigrette.
2. Summer Couscous with Lemon Vinaigrette, Preserved Lemons, Toasted Almonds, Parsley and Dried Cranberries.
3. Parma Ham with Peaches in a Mint Vinaigrette.
4. Corn and Tomato Salad with Bacon and Basil in a Balsamic Vinaigrette.

And for dessert: Waitrose's Black Forest Gateau. Since it was my birthday, I guess there had to be a cake!

With Buck's Fizz cooling in the fridge and a bottle of white wine, I put out a few roasted almonds and some Indonesian crisps, then stepped back to change and get dressed. I so enjoyed putting together this no-fuss meal. It was simplicity itself and such a great way to beat the summer heat.

My guests arrived promptly at half-seven (as they say here!). It was great to see them again. They came bearing a large box of Leonidas' Belgian chocolates--top of the line goodies that I know Llew will enjoy sharing with me.

Needless to say, we had a lovely evening, as always. They did discover it was my birthday only when they saw the cards that I had received. Incredibly, it was almost 11.00 pm before we knew it and when they left, I spent the next half hour clearing and washing up and still continuing to receive email messages. wishing me for the year.

My fridge is now full of leftovers and I will try my best to finish it all up before I leave. With my desk on its way to the States, a great weight is off my mind. I have now to think of ways and means to shrink all my stuff into four suitcases--two will go with Llew, two with me! It is a daunting prospect but, hopefully, will all be accomplished.

I am more than grateful for what has been an extraordinary year for me! I feel profoundly blessed for everything that this year brought along with it; but, most of all, for the love of doting parents, an adoring husband, devoted brothers, a loving sister-in-law, the cutest niece and nephew, a caring daughter and loads of fond friends--including the newest ones that I have made here in London--the company of two of whom ensured that I was not alone on my special day though so far away!

2 comments:

Oliver said...

It's 11:01 PM in New York.
Happy Birthday Professor!

Rochelle's Roost said...

Hiya Cindy:

Thanks so much! Great to know you are still reading my blog. How are you doing? And where are you now?
Hope you're having a wonderful summer as I am right here in London! Miss you all and see you at NYU in September.

Dr. A