Sunday, December 2, 2018

Chilling on a Sunday with Fellow Fulbrighters

Sunday, December 2, 2018
Bombay

Chilling on a Sunday with Fellow Fulbrighters

     Namaste from Bombay!
     As I had expected, the noise next-door, associated with Forum's wedding, went on till 2.30 am. I tried to get to sleep, but it as impossible. I took up my iPad and read the magazine section of The Times in bed as well as the December issue of Waitrose magazine which I downloaded. My favorite supermarket in the UK has a monthly magazine which you can sign up to receive online. It is one of my favorite pastimes each month. It was about 3. 30 am when I fell asleep. Still, my darn body clock woke me up at 6.30am.  I read a whole lot of congratulatory messages that I received from friends and colleagues around the world on email and whatsapp (about my new book on Go) and before I knew it, it was time for me to go to church. My cold was still bothering me and so I had a hot tea with lemon, honey and ginger and mediated myself with Crocin.
     Mass followed at 9.15 am after which I stopped at Dad's place intending to stay for just a few minutes.  But you know how Dad loves to talk, right? So, there I was right up to 11.00 am when I finally left his place. On the way home, now that I have discovered the treasures that lie inside, I stopped off at Blue Tokkai Coffee Shop and picked up a plain (butter) croissant and an almond croissant.  Back home, I had a very late breakfast of a croissant and coffee as I was starving by then. An hour later, I left my house for my next appointment.

Lunch with Fellows Fulbrighters:
     My Fulbright colleague, Michelle, who lives really close by, had organized a get-together at the Salt Water Grill, a lovely seafood restaurant in Bandra.  I had been dying to try out this place--only lack of company had prevented me from going there.  Besides, when I looked at the prices, I realized why I am doing most of my eating out at the Bandra Gym where the food is so delicious and so reasonably priced.  Here, the prices were astounding and all my American Fulbright colleagues said that they are shocked to find American prices in Bombay restaurants! Yes, you can have the good life here in Bombay--you can have a great life here in Bombay--but it will cost you dearly. For those of us on American salaries, Life is blissful here. But it is important for me to note that not everyone can afford to live in such luxury.
     It was fantastic to meet new Fulbright friends--Randall Hayes came all the way from Panvel (a good two hour drive) to meet us. Michelle was there with a new Fulbrighter, Meghan Patel (who has just arrived here from Michigan and will stay, like me, until next May) and I invited my Fulbright hostess Monica James, who is close to their age and was delighted to make friends with them. I ordered the Linguine with Prawns with Chilli-Fennel and there was a gorgeous pitcher of red Sangria that circulated around the table.  For dessert, there was Chocolate Ganache Fudge Cake, Cheesecake and Tiramisu. As you can imagine, we had a great time. Petra joined us half way thorough and brought another lively dimension to our gathering. It was 3.00 pm when we got up to leave--by which time, Baskin Robbins, across the street, had opened and I could replenish my supply of Pralines and Cream ice-cream.
     Monica gave me a ride home in her rickshaw as she was passing my place and I decided to have a short nap.  I awoke, took a shower and had another lemon tea and did some more inhalation for my cold. Next, I sat down to watch a movie--Chalet Girl with Felicity Jones, Bill Nighy and Brook Shields--it was listed as one of the best British films on Netflix (not doing much for me, I'm afraid).
     I left at 7.00 pm for Dad's to have dinner with him. I discovered, from the folks next door, that there is festivity tonight although tomorrow is Mehndi Night and there will be a ruckus.  I will be going to the opera with Shahnaz--so I shall simply spend the night at her place. That is the plan!
     At Dad's, the India-Belgium hockey match was going on and Dad had no time for me! I sat chatting with Russel who was full of conversation, as usual.  I shared their dinner of the most delicious biryani and raita and left their home at 8.30 pm.
    Back in my studio, I continued watching Chalet Girl while also whatsappping with Llew and Chriselle who sent me many pictures of the birthday party her girl friends threw for her in LA. A good time seemed to have been had by all.
     It was about 10.00 pm when I decided to have an early night as a result of feeling sleep-deprived.
     Until tomorrow...

 

No comments: