Thursday, December 6, 2018

Two Important Interviews--With Khushroo Suntook and Pooh Sayani

Wednesday, December 5, 2018
Bombay

Two Important Interviews--With Khushroo Suntook of the NCPA and Pooh Sayani

     Namaste from Bombay!
     A very busy (but very important) day lay ahead and I was well aware of this when I awoke at 6.30 to race through a blog post and my Twitter feed. I had my breakfast of mueslis and coffee, showered, dressed and was off.  Am still savoring the peace and quiet of my apartment sans its shrill next-door female occupant. Did not realize what an addict I have become to quietude!
     I was on the bus and in the Bandra local train and in a bus again--such an easy, comfortable commute as every single one of these forms of conveyance is empty! I know! Its impossible to believe, isn't it? And yet, I speak nothing but the absolute truth. It takes me no more than an hour--door to door! That too is a rare luxury I do not have in Connecticut.
     Sadly, my first interviewee, Khushroo Suntook, who is the Director of the NCPA, was delayed as he had some issues with his driver. I had waited forever to get this interview with him as he is such a busy man...but in the end, it was all worthwhile. The delay gave me time to sit for a hour in the library and continue with my research. I finished a book I was reading and began work on another before I got the call to say he had arrived.
     Our interview was wonderful--he is so full of knowledge, information and anecdotes that time flew past. He apologized for keeping me waiting and asked if we could fix another appointment as he really does want to see me again--he has so much to tell me! I was delighted. He really is a lovely man and sitting in his office surrounded by pictures of some of the world's greatest classical musicians and learning about their association with Bombay was superbly heartening.
     I had my sandwich lunch (cold roasted salted tongue with mayo and mustard--yum,yum,yum) in the office of my friends at the NCPA and then I went back to the library and continued my reading while taking notes on my IPad.  It was shaping into an entirely productive day.
     About an hour later, my next interviewee arrived--Ayesha (Pooh) Sayani, daughter of the late wonderful Hamid Sayani, who was the English voice of All-India Radio and the original compere of the 'Bournvita Quiz Contest' which with we had all grown up! Ayesha too was filled with marvelous anecdotal family information--she is the niece of the late Alyque Padamsee (her mother was Alyque's sister Jerry) and had loads of family lore to share. She is also the sweetest person--a film-maker in her own right and someone who has the ability to articulate with fluency and style.  Such a delight to interview! I keep thinking how fortunate I am that my data collection is proceeding with such ease. I am having the opportunity too meet such gorgeous people and to be able to interact with them at the academic level is a pure daily treat. No wonder I am enjoying my assignment in Bombay so much.
     Back home on the bus and train, I had just enough time for a cuppa and slice of cake before I left my studio to go over to Dad's to spend some time with Russel. He is making good (if slow) progress from a walker to a walking stick--his boot, which should come in a couple of days, will make his walking even easier (we believe). Please continue to pray for him. As Dad and I can see it, it is not the fractured shin that will prove to be problematic, in the long run, but his arthritic knee--the solution of which eludes his orthopedist who will have to come up with something creative to keep Russel mobile.
     Dad and I then left for church together for the 7.00 pm Mass after which I got home to have my dinner (remnants of noodles, dal with spinach, koftas, papri) that is still languishing in my fridge with half a guava for dessert. I watched the second half of Muriel's Wedding on TV and found that the only part I really liked were all the ABBA songs! I am also delighted that Rael Padamsee, Producer of the show, has given me tickets to see The ABBA Tribute at the NCPA next Wednesday--which should be a lot of fun!
     Until tomorrow...

No comments: