Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Running Errands for Dad

Tuesday, March 19, 2019
Bombay


Running Errands for Dad

     Namaste from Bombay!
     Not much to report today as I had kept the day free believing that Dad would need my help as he recovered from dental surgery.
     Up at usual at about 6.30 pm, I got to work on the recovery of my computer documents--a project that will consume the next couple of days for sure. I did not even have the time to blog. At 8.30, Dad called me to say that Valerian was headed to his place for his appointment with Russel and Dad requested me to be present.  So I wolfed down my breakfast of one broon and spreads with a cup of coffee and headed to his place.
  Valerian's session with Russel was successful insofar as he actually managed to get Russel to climb two steps today and to sit on the sofa (as opposed to the chair). Yes, baby steps. It is hard getting Russel to oblige as he can be very obstinate. Still...all things considered, progress is being made.
     I left and returned home to sit at my computer for another two hours after which I ran two errands for Dad.  I went to the Bandra Post Office (by rickshaw) to pay his telephone bill--which was simplicity itself and then I walked a block to the Bandra Police Station. I obtained the form necessary to be filled for registering a domestic hire. This too was a breeze and I must say that I had the most polite experience with everyone at the police station. It was far from the nightmare I had expected it to be.
     Naturally, since I was just half a block from Marks and Spencer, I wandered in there thinking that this is probably the closest I can get to London in a hurry! The new summer line is in and I was quite pleased to browse through the racks and take in the lovely linen pieces--I prefer the tailored look and do not like the baggy wear. However, when I converted the price to dollars, it made no sense at all for me to be paying about $50 for two light cotton tops! Really...being in the States spoils you for shopping anywhere else in the wold. We are so lucky to pay the kind of prices we do for quality wear. At the designer outlets (where I am accustomed to shopping), I could have obtained those two pieces for no more than $20!  Still, that said, it was good to browse through the various floors of this lovely department store and know exactly what is available. Now if only they would add a Food Hall--my joy in being in Bombay would be complete! Think of all those chocolate eclairs I would greedily consume!
   A quick walk then saw me over at my friend Michelle's place as my laptop suddenly started playing up at the very end of my work on it as I tried to download the documents that I am trying to salvage. It was a very easy matter to fix it--first of all, Michelle advised me to install all the updates which I had not done in ages and to quit Word and restart the program, if it does so again.  Very easily done!
     Off I went back home for a nap and a spot of tea after which I found the time to blog. It was then time for me to go to Dad's to pick him up before we went to Mass. Dad was feeling well enough to actually go to church with me and said that he is pain-free.  Thank goodness for that!
     It was St. Joseph's Feast and I was the Lector for the second reading--it went well and with that Dad and I returned to his gate where we parted company. I went back home and had my dinner hastily while watching another episode of Vera. Then I did some more downloading of Documents before I went to bed.
     Like I said...a boring day overall...but not every one can be filled with excitement. And a bit of down time is not such a bad thing after all.
     Until tomorrow.

No comments: