Tuesday, June 18, 2019

D-Day! Discharge-Day for Russel (from Hinduja Hospital)!

Monday, June 17, 2019
Bombay

D-Day! Discharge-Day for Russel (from Hinduja Hospital)!

    Namaste from Bombay!
    We are still rejoicing that Russel is back home! What a day we had! His return home was so unexpected that we are still reeling mentally from the shock of it!
     So, as usual, I awoke at 6.30 am (I felt really tired, sleepy and lethargic and wished I could go back to sleep again as I am still partly fighting jet lag from the South American trip). But duty called...so I washed, dressed, had my breakfast (muesli and coffee--not much variation these days!) and off I went to the hospital by rickshaw (as I was running a bit late).
    Dad and Russel had passed a good night. Russel had just eaten a thick breakfast and was feeling and looking good. Dad too had a good night and was all set to go back home really.
     It was not long before Dr. Altaf Khatri walked in to ask how Russel was doing. He took a look at Russel and seemed happy that he was in good shape. He was the first person who told us that Russel's culture report was due either today or tomorrow and depending on what it said, he could be discharged. He actually took the time to explain to us how culture tests worked. He said that some material (in the form of pus) from the wound that refused to heal on his leg was sent off for analysis. This would be placed (in the lab) in contact with other bacteria to see how it would react. This would determine what had caused the infection at the surgery site and how to prevent it from recurring. It would also indicate to the doctors the sort of antibiotics to prescribe to kill the infection and prevent it from reappearing. Hence, they could not rush with the report because the cultures needed time to react and respond in the lab to various catalysts that would produce the reactions that they were seeking.
     Barely did he leave than Russel's orthopedist Dr. Bhende walked in. He came with his assistant Dr. Devendra who had re-done Russel's dressing yesterday. He asked Russel how he felt and then reiterated the same thing Dr. Khatri had said: that he needed to wait for the culture report before discharging Russel. Literally as he was talking to us, Dr. Khatri walked in with--bingo!--the report which had just arrived via email. It showed "no growth"--this meant that the pus had not reacted with any of the stimulants that are used in the lab to cause reaction. This was a good sign. So, in other words, the result of the culture report was negative. Next minute, before we could gather our wits together, we heard the doctor say, "Okay Russel, you can go home today?" Gosh! Were we all stunned! Every single one of us was completely taken aback, not least Russel who could just stare at the doctor in shock.     
     So he then told us that we should make an appointment to bring Russel back to his clinic in Dadar in about ten days' time. At that point, he will remove the staples that are holding the incision together and will send Russel home with his leg in a detachable fibre glass plaster which will stay on for at least 3 months. Each month, an x-ray will be taken to see how the bone is progressing--the site has been pumped full of antibiotic granules that will slowly leach out their healing powers over 3 months to offer artificial stimulants to enable healing of the bone (as Russel's neuropathic condition does not allow his broken bones to set the way they do with normal people). If the bone sets as hoped, then Russel is out of the woods as far as his fracture is concerned. If the bone still does not set, another round of surgery will follow--this time it will involve the grafting of a bone from his pelvis to make setting possible. Naturally, both the doctors and we hope that this method will work and that no further surgery will be necessary. So long story short, Russel is now home and may the healing hands of the Lord and his Blessed Mother descend upon him and cause healing (as human hands have done all they can do for the moment). I implore you to join me in fervent prayer.
     From that point on, the waiting game began as we had to hang on for discharge orders, discharge papers and the printing out of our bill. As we waited, Russel was visited by the Management Team--the Head Nurse Sr. Gayatri and the Head of Management, Dr. Thomas, came to see him to ask how his stay had been. I could only gush--in terms of the kind of treatment we received, the verdict was sheer luxury; in terms of the medical care, it was little short of miraculous. Russel was treated with such compassion and so much understanding that I was stunned. I have had terms in US hospitals where the nursing staff were so indifferent to my needs that I could have wept. Anyway, I cannot say enough good things about this hospital and I understand now why wealthy Arabs come to India for treatment rather than go to the West.
     In a short time, the papers did arrive. Dad and I did go through them and when we were satisfied that everything was in order (and indeed it was), I went downstairs to pay the bill using my credit card. Needless to say, we paid an arm and a leg for the entire stay but it was worth every single paisa. Furthermore, we paid barely a few thousand rupees more than the estimate--so here too, the hospital had not erred in giving us an idea of what this stint and surgery would cost. By the time I had made payment, the reports of every single test Russel had taken were ready and we could easily carry them off with us in a handy bag that was also provided by the hospital. Dad will now find it very easy to file claims for reimbursement from Russel's medical insurance company. Once again, I am amazed by the breathtaking efficiency of this hospital where all the paper work too has been processed like clockwork.         
     When I was pretty sure that Russel was ready to leave, I called for the ambulance that came and took him back home. The ride was only ten minutes away and at Dad's building, our usual helpers (the watchmen, gardeners, etc) came readily to help bodily lift Russel up the few stairs to Dad's apartment.
     Once at Dad's, I realized that Rohit had done yeoman service running the home in Dad's absence. He was actually so happy to see us back because he had been bored stiff all alone with himself at home! Now he actually has work to do that will keep him occupied.
     Once I was sure that Russel was happy to be back in his own room again, we got ready to have lunch. Russel will be bed bound for about ten days until he can start to put load back on his feet slowly. While I was lunching with Dad, his fruit man called to offer him Rajapuri mangoes and while Dad did not want any, I told him to meet me at my studio at 2.00 pm.  I said Bye to Dad and Russel and went off home. The fruit man was already there when I arrived and I bought the mangoes from him--they are a gigantic species (each like a rugby ball!) but a tad raw--so will need to be allowed to ripen for a few days.
     When he left, I realized how tired I was and without further ado, I threw myself on the bed and had a nap that lasted about an hour. A friend's call woke me up but I did not take it as I really did not feel like I was in the mood to talk to anyone. Instead, I unwound with a pot of tea and a slice of cake and some TV. At about 5.45pm, I left for Dad's again to see how Russel was doing and 45 minutes later, Dad and I left for Mass.  A number of people came to find out how Russel was doing as they saw that Dad and I were back in church after ages.
     After Mass, I returned to Dad's place to help him deal with the new list of medications that Russel has to take and to help him understand how to dispense them. I also took out the ones that Russel needed to take after dinner--to make Dad's life a bit easier. It will take him a few days to understand how these will work.
     I returned home at about 9.00 pm and had my own dinner--paneer makhanwala (that I had brought home from the hospital yesterday), a chappati and some salad. For dessert, I had a piece of Toblerone dark chocolate. During my dinner, I watched the new Neflix movie called Murder Mystery (with Jennifer Anniston and Adam Sandler) which was just nuts. The setting (Monte Carlo and Lake Como) were the best things about it as I got to feast my eyes on some of the most beautiful parts of Europe. The plot was quite ridiculous although they tried to model it on an Agatha Christie murder mystery. I am convinced that the actors only accepted the work because the locations were so spectacular.
     I did not stay up too late and after a quick chat with Llew, I fell asleep--glad that I am able to get back to routine again and that Russel is home and happy and that Dad is relieved of the strain on him. Looking forward now to healing times.
     Until tomorrow... 

No comments: