Thursday, June 20, 2019

Dad Gets Dental Implants and my Cousin Veera Visits Russel

Thursday, June 20, 2019
Bombay

Dad Gets Dental Implants and my Cousin Veera Visits Russel

     Namaste from Bombay!
     Life has now gone back to normal for me and I am savoring my freedom to do just as I wish with my day. I was awake at 5.30am and spent about an hour reading my Twitterfeed and the The Times of London on my Ipad, a bit of Origins by Dan Brown before I got a call from Llew. We were on the phone when I heard the bread man--so I paused to get a broon for my breakfast which I ate with spreads and coffee while watching short videos about touring Oxford on You Tube.
     I then got down to my laptop and spent about an hour on it as I attended to email correspondence and reviewed my Acknowledgements page and sent out my Dedication note to my publishers. Since my forthcoming book is a memoir based on the year I spent in London, ten years ago, I have decided to dedicate it to the six women who have offered me accommodation in London over the last ten years that I have lived there in short spurts.
     By the time I actually got down to do some transcribing of a past interview, it was about 11.00 am and I worked on it till 1.00 pm after which I needed a stretch and some lunch. Lunch was Valerie's meal of chole  and mince with chapati and part of a huge Rajapuri mango which was just fabulously sweet. I had bought it from my fruit man, three days ago and left it to ripen on my widow sill.  It is amazing!

Dad Gets His Dental Implants:
     Then I took a short nap and woke up in time to go in for a quick shower. I got dressed and went off to Dad's at 3.00 pm as he had a dental appointment at 3.30 pm. It was the final day of his long-drawn out dental implant process--don't even ask where the past three months have gone. I remembered going to see his dentist like it was yesterday to consult about implants. The caps were finally fitted in yesterday. The process took about 45 minutes and, needless to say, Dad looked like a new man after they were fitted. He does not have to worry now about getting them off and putting them in. The dentist called his two junior staff to have a look at them and told me again how incredible it was that Dad still had so much jaw bone at his age. He said that he has so much that he could well donate some! Well, I can only pray that after having braved the long process that has ended up in implants that Dad will have no trouble with them. He has now been called back after 3 weeks for a follow-up appointment so that the dentist can make any tiny adjustments, if need be, and find out how Dad is faring with them. Phew! A Huge Mission Accomplished! And, once again, I am so impressed and inspired by my Dad who has taken on this massive undertaking at the age of 89!
     Dad and I took a rickshaw over to this place where I then sat and visited with him and Russel. After a little while, just when I was getting ready to leave, the doorbell rang and my cousin Veera walked in to see Russel. I spent another half an hour visiting with her until she was ready to leave, while I also took my leave of Dad and Russel. As it was past 6.00 pm by then, I told Dad that I would not be joining him at Mass today.
     Back home, I found two missed calls from my cousin Blossom with whom I then sat and chatted for half an hour. She told me that she is going in for surgery too for knee replacements--at the end of July. While talking to her, I gulped down a cup of tea and a chocolate Bourbon biscuit. Then my friend Ashley called and told me that he happened to be in Bandra and wanted to go over to my Dad's to see Russel. He wondered if we could meet up too. Having just returned from Dad's, I told him to carry on there and make his visit and to call me when he was done.  Perhaps we could have a drink together later at the Bandra Gym, I thought.
     I sat down and reviewed my email messages and began to watch some TV. But when an hour later, I had not heard back from Ashley, I called and he told me that he was having such a good time chatting and catching up with Russel that he decided to skip a visit with me and would go back home instead.
      This then left my evening free. I plated my dinner--noodles wth a cup of soup and more mango for dessert (delish!) and watched Mrs. Brown's Boys--a New Year Special that was recorded live in front of a huge stage audience. Sadly, I did not find any of it as funny as the TV episodes have been. In fact, I got rather bored with it and switched the light off at 10.30 to get some sleep.
     Until tomorrow...
     

 


No comments: