Sunday, June 30, 2019

Another (Uneventful) Sunday Rolls Around!

Sunday, June 30, 2019
Bombay

Another (Uneventful) Sunday Rolls Around

     Namaste from Bombay!
    On the last day of the month of June, I awoke in my flat at 6.30 am and began reading in bed as my book (The Cuckoo's Calling) is pretty compelling. That done, I downloaded The Times and flipped through the weekend edition, I also downloaded Waitrose magazine. Some of you might know that Waitrose is my favorite supermarket in the UK. It has a wonderful magazine that it brings out monthly and, over the years, I have amassed quite a collection of issues. About two years ago, when my stint of working and living in London ended, I switched to the online magazine--by registering on their website. Seriously...flipping through the pages is very much a high point of my month. I love the mouthwatering pictures and the wonderful interviews with prominent British chefs and food people. I have often tried out recipes in the magazine--but, of course, as I have not cooked for a whole year, that seems like history. I miss my kitchen and cooking so much now that I cannot wait to go back and resume my normal life. I have to admit that while the Fulbright lark has been fab (while it lasted), after meeting Llew in South America, a few weeks ago, I cannot wait to get back to him again. Needless to say, all of next month will be devoted to getting myself ready to depart--it is going to take a lot of thought and planning as I will be spending the last 15 days of my stay in Bombay at Dad's place.
     I left for Mass at 8.40 am, after downing a cup of coffee and a slice of bread and butter, as I was the Lector for the Second Reading. Although it had rained heavily all night, it had stopped for a bit and I was able to get to church on foot with very little inconvenience. After Mass, I met my friend Maria who then introduced me to her husband Jeff and her daughter Manda whom I had met briefly in Washington DC where Maria lived until a couple of weeks ago. She has become repatriated to India now and is slowly settling down. I was a bit chuffed as a couple of folks stopped by to tell me that they really did enjoy my Reading. This did mean a lot to me as Indians are usually very sparing in their compliments! Giving them is not part of the culture!
     I picked up a batata vada for Russel and took one for myself too! I was grateful to Maria who offered me a ride to my building in their car as they were headed to Borivli to visit relatives. Back home, I made myself breakfast (two slices of raisin-walnut bread with spreads and more coffee--it was very good) as I watched Couples Come Dine with Me. That done, I began blogging and when I finished, I ordered lunch: Formagio Fungi (Penne Pasta with a mushroom white sauce), Roast Chicken, Crispy Vegetables (all from Bandra Gym) and then went off to pick up the order when I was called and told it was ready. I went straight to Dad's where he, Russel and I had lunch. All the food was delicious. After lunch (papaya for dessert), I got back home and had a lovely nap and spent most of the afternoon reading my novel, napping and reading again.   
     At about 6.45 pm, I left my house and walked to Dad and since there was such an exciting match on TV (India was playing England in the cricket World Cup), the three of us sat watching (Rohit has Sunday afternoons and evenings off). At 8.00 pm, we had dinner (a repeat of the afternoon's fare plus Sonam's delicious momos) and I left.
     Back home, I got myself a helping of chocolate ice-cream and sat to watch Rewrite, a movie that I had downloaded on my laptop through Hoopla. It is a rom-com set in Binghamton in Upstate New York, of all places, and stars a completely delightful Marisa Tomei (whom I have loved ever since her Oscar-winning performance in My Cousin Vinny--one of my favorite films of all time) and Hugh Grant, who although he has aged so poorly is still nice to look at! In-between, Dad called me to tell me that India had lost by 31 runs! So sad!
      Sadly also, I could not keep my eyes open, fell asleep during the movie, woke up, brushed and flossed my teeth and changed for bed and got back to the movie and finished it while still awake this time. The most hilarious part of the movie is that Hugh Grant, who plays a university professor,  has an affair with a student in his class, everyone in the department gets to know about it, he is threatened with dismissal, he says that (as a Hollywood writer and not really an academic) he did not know such a thing was against university policy!---AND NOTHING HAPPENS TO HIM! He keeps his job and he gets his gal! On which planet????? Hahahahahahahah!
     I went to bed after a short video chat with Llew at about 1.30 am--we talked about India's poor showing in the match (they lost so dismally)!
     It had been a lovely relaxing weekend during which, for the first time in ages, I actually did no work at all. In fact, I shall be spending most of the next month tying up a few threads (if the Monsoon permits) and packing up my belongings for return Stateside. I intend to do things in small morsels so that I am not overwhelmed at the very end.   
     It is going to be a very interesting month!
     Until tomorrow...
  

No comments: