Monday, May 13, 2019

A Slightly Unusual Sunday

Sunday, May 12, 2019
Bombay

A Slightly Unusual Sunday

     Namaste from Bombay!
     I had a slighty different Sunday in the sense that I broke away from routine today. I awoke at 6.30 am and had a long video chat with Llew who had our neighbor's dog Gus in for a sleepover. It was fab to see Gus again and to watch his reaction as he heard my voice. Dogs are truly incredible! I also had a long chat with my friend Leslie in Connecticut who had a health update to give me on her mother-in-law in Bombay.
     I then sat down to blog and to review some of my writing and before I knew it, it was time for me to get dressed and go to the 9.00 am Mass--so I had no time for breakfast--or even for a cup of coffee. I raced off to church for Mass which was said by Fr. Lancy D'Souza--it was only at that point that I remembered that I had invited him to Dad's home after Mass to meet Russel. It had clean slipped my mind. On most Sundays, I rush home after Mss to eat my breakfast. Not having eaten, I was starving, but Fr. Lancy told me that he had already eaten his breakfast--so he would do with a cup of tea when we got home to Dad's.
     He had a lovely visit with us--we discovered that we knew so many people in common in Bombay Central where we once used to live in the Reserve Bank of India Quarters. We knew Fr. Lancy's uncle and his cousins really well. He also prayed really beautifully over Russel, Dad and myself and he gave Russel Communion. It was a really lovely visit--but a rather long one and by the time I actually was able to get home and put the first bit of food in my mouth, it was 11.00 am (and I had been up since 6.30).
     I told Dad that I would not be joining them for lunch as I had such a late breakfast. So, once home, I started working right away on the editing of the last two chapters of my manuscript. And since I was not too happy with the second-last one, I ended up re-writing quite a bit of it. By the time I stopped for a mango, it was about 2.00 pm and I was disappointed to find it rather sour. So I pulled the entire dozen out of my fridge and placed them on my windowsill where they fragrantly repose as they ripen.
     I took a short 20 minute nap, continued reading my novel (Missing, Presumed) for a break and then returned to my editing task. Don't even ask how time-consuming it was as I tried to fit things in and write the Epilogue in a manner that would allow me to tie all loose ends in my memoir together.
     At 6.30 pm, I went in for a shower and left my house by 7.00 where I spent about a half hour with Dad and Russel. Dad wanted to have an early dinner (at 7.30 pm) as the Finals of the IPL cricket match were on and Mumbai Indians (his team) are in it. We had the Chinese meal that he had ordered from Mr. Chow--Hot and Soup Soup, Wantons, Noodles, Chilli Chicken. We had delicious kulfi for dessert brought by Jyoti for Dad's birthday.
     I did not stay long after the match as Dad was uninterested in speaking to me! I bid Russel goodbye and was off. Back home, I decided to watch TV and tried to find Cold Feet (Season 8) on You Tube--but there were no full episodes to be found. Instead, I began watching the latest addition of Line of Duty and was completely hooked. I stayed up till pretty late but found that I was still wide awake. I tried to do some more reading but then at 1.00 am, decided to close my eyes.  Sleep is rather elusive as I am worried about this coming week. I shall be going to the orthopedist with Dad tomorrow evening and the day after, we shall be taking Russel by ambulance to another orthopedist who will actually see him for the first time. It promises to be a very stressful two weeks ahead of me and I am hoping that I can finish up as much of my work as possible as I shall be chained to a hospital bed, most likely, in the foreseeable future. Once again, I ask you all for your prayers on Russel and Dad's behalf.
     Until tomorrow...  
   


No comments: