Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Another Day Spent Waiting--but Internet Arrives in my Studio

Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Bombay

Another Day Spent Waiting--But Internet Arrives in my Studio.

      Namaste from Bombay!
       I seem to be settling in slowly--but, I repeat, slowly.  Things move at a different pace here.  Most service workers do not begin their rounds until 11.00 am.  Most service providers do not get to their offices until 11.00 am. The early morning, on the other hand, is my most productive time--when 'morning brain' kickstarts my day. So, up at 5.00 am, I began blogging. When done, I had my breakfast (home made birschersmuesli) and decided to go for a walk along the Carter Road Promenade. Since I went out earlier today, there were more walkers and it was far more pleasant (less warm). A lovely breeze played off the Arabian Sea and it made a refreshing companion as it walked by me.
    Back home, I showered and changed and spent the rest of the morning reading. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was being invited to deliver the plenary address at a conference on 'Translation' in Hyderabad in early October. I felt deeply honored. The organizers would provide a return air ticket as well as hospitality for the days of the conference. It is amazing how one minute you have no possibility of ever getting somewhere and the next, you are off to a city that has not even been remotely on your radar. I will be quite delighted to be in Hyderabad again as I have been there only once, decades ago. I remember the magnificent Salar Jung Museum which was one of the best museums I had seen up to that point. I am keen to visit it again as it contains the personal collection of the fabulously wealthy former Nizam of Hyderabad who was an inveterate collector. It was my mother who had told me about the Nizam and his collection and who had suggested that we take a family trip to Hyderabad to see it. There are so many things that I owe my Mum--not least my passion for art and museums. I do so miss her terribly especially when I am in Bombay. How delighted she would have been to have me around again!
     I had made all arrangements to get a TV set moved from my friend Shahnaz's place to mine when I realized that since it did not have a remote, I first ought to find out whether or not I can get a replacement. Many calls followed and eventually, the engineer at LG TV Service Center told me that he would pay a visit to Shahnaz's place to test out the TV with his 'service remote'. Sadly, I was not able to get there at the same time as I had an appointment with the carpenter who was coming to install a long towel rod in my bathroom as I have a king sized towel. Shahnaz told me that she would handle it herself.
     I also decided to find out why I have had a constant mild headache ever since I moved into this studio.  Well, it turns out that I have "paint fumes headache". This is a result of the fact that after this studio was freshly painted, it was all locked up (for security reasons) and the fumes were never given a chance to dry out and escape. That's why they are trapped inside and are taking so long to dissipate. When Shahnaz walked into this room she had an instant attack of coughing and sneezing and had to rush to the balcony for some fresh air--she remained sick for the rest of the evening. Thankfully, I do not to have so intense a reaction and am spared the dizziness and nausea that also accompanies this allergy.  But the headache is horrid and I would be glad to get rid of it soon.
     I googled further to find out how I could get rid of the smell and discovered that I could light candles (a fire hazard that I am loathe to try ) or put out bowls of soda bicarb (baking soda) to absorb the odor and fumes. My lunch had been delivered (chicken curry, pan rolls filled with minced meat and spinach with lentils). Hence, after lunch, I got dressed and walked to Cheap Jack on Hill Road to get a few household supplies: swabs for the floor, a squeegee for the bathroom, toilet brush and holder, a plastic dome for the microwave oven, a pedal garbage bin with liner and lid for the kitchen, lemon scented candles for the house (they have absolutely no scent, by the way, and cannot be compared with the votive candles we get in the US). From my corner grocery store (that is most conveniently located only a few meters from my building), I bought baking soda and Quaker oats (for my breakfast). I had barely put away my purchases when the calls kept pouring in.
     All the servicemen converged on my home at the same time: the carpenter could not find my place so had to be given directions (my Hindi is getting more fluent by the minute!), the internet men arrived with him. However, his towel rod was much too small. I had requested a long one to accommodate my large towel.  Since it was so small, I told him not to install it as it did not serve my purpose.
     The internet guys got to work.  They needed the key to the terrace which my neighbor above me was able to provide them. About an hour or two later, during which I could not get out, their work was done.  Another techie had to arrive.  He would bring the router and I would be connected. I requested him to come early as I intended to go the the 7.00 pm Mass--which he did. So, there I was taking calls from Shahnaz about the LG techie in her house, dealing with the internet techies in my house and, all the while, trying to figure out how I would make it to Mass on time.
     Luckily, I was all connected by 6.30 pm with all my devices on wifi. Off I raced to Mass and then paid a quick visit home to see my brother Russel, drop off laundry, etc. before I left. Back home, I attended to some urgent email (as I was finally online at home!--such a relief), had my dinner while reading the biography of Prince Charles and went to bed at about 10.30 pm.
     Hopefully, I will get a TV soon and will also be able to get to work.
     Until tomorrow...


No comments: