Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Getting Back to Routine

Monday, September 24, 2018
Bombay

Getting Back to Routine

     Namaste from Bombay!
     Morning routine has set in--I was up at 5.30 and got on with it: blogging, reading, emailing. Julian Barnes' book The Only Story is getting very sad now.  While it began on a light and breezy note, the love story between the 19 year old university student and the 48 year old mother of two grown-up girls in mid-20th century England, has soured quickly. At this point, the poor woman, violently beaten by her husband, is slowly unravelling. She has become a pill-popper and an alcoholic.  His love remains steadfast.  Everyone thinks she is a crazy lady and that he is her lodger. I cannot wait to find out what happens at the end. It cannot but be a tragedy.

Off to Jogger's Park for Morning Exercise:
     Determined to return to routine after Russel's hospitalization, I washed, dressed and had a cup of coffee.  Then, at 7.45, I tied on my sneakers and left for Jogger's Park.  I took ten rounds around the Jogging Track which I shared with a smattering of other joggers and walkers.  The track is just the best thing in the vicinity. Indeed the entire park is a delight and I feel so blessed to have this spot. I am using the time to listen to music--today it was Barbra Streisand's Greatest Hits. How lovely to get back to listening to music again.

Bagels for Breakfast:
     An hour later, I got back home and had a shower and a shampoo as I was truly dripping with perspiration. Once out, I had my breakfast--the other half of my Everything bagel with pesto cream cheese, nutella and peanut butter--not altogether--and coffee. It made a welcome change from my muesli brekkie daily. While munching, I watched Escape to the Continent on Netflix. This time, the couple was in one of my favorite parts of Europe--Salzburg in Austria. I adore this show.

Back to the Salt Mines:
     Then, I sat down at my computer--it was 10.30 am and for the next two and a half hours, I was at work. There was so much to catch up on--email from NYU, from my publisher in Goa, from Rudy Otter of the UK who is working on an article on me for a Dubai-based periodical, to the vendors (my cable man, my internet man) who need to get back to finish the work they started at my place. I also finished the Powerpoint presentation on which I am working for the conference in Hyderabad. Tomorrow, I need to send out two abstract for conferences in Calcutta in December and in Chennai (Madras) in January.

Lunch, Reading, A Nap and Grooming:
     At 1.00 pm I stopped (mainly because my back was aching). Actually I had to do a few stretching exercises to get the tired muscles to relax. Then, I had my lunch as a new tiffin had been delivered in the morning (spicy mince curry, pan rolls and beans with potatoes). It was all delicious.  I continued watching my Netflix while eating.
     I did some reading of the Julian Barnes book after lunch, after which I look a nap for 20 minutes. It is getting warmer in Bombay and the humidity is definitely on the rise. I find myself putting my ceiling fan on higher settings now. I am also enjoying ice-cold water from the fridge which was never my preference back home.
     After my nap, I continued working. I need to make appointments with a number of people and reaching out to them took a while.
     At 4.00 pm, being that it was 'Me Monday', I trimmed my nails and gave myself a home manicure and pedicure. I also trimmed my eyebrows and did general weekly grooming. Then, I stopped for a cup of tea and three chocolate biscuits and dressed to go to my cousin Veera's house for a visit.

Visiting my Cousin Veera:
     Veera is my realtor cousin whose contacts got me this lovely studio in Bandra that I am occupying. I had wanted to go across to her with a Thank you gift for ages; but just when I was ready to do so, Russel was hospitalized and the next fortnight passed in a blur. Now that he is back home, I made going to see her a priority.
     I walked briskly along the Bandra bylines to Venus Bakery. From there, I picked up a heart-shaped Black Forest Cake for Veera and two bars of cake (English Fruit and Nut Cake for Dad and Russel and Walnut Cake for me). Veera lives two minutes away from Venus. I reached her place by 5.00pm and was very happy to find her daughter Sybil also at home.  We had a very interesting catch up for the next 45 minutes when I left their place to make my way to Dad's to see Russel.

Visiting My Mum's Grave, St. Andrew's Church and Walk Along Chimbai Fishing Village:
     Along the way, I passed by the graveyard of St. Andrew's Church by the Sea and I decided to go and visit my Mum's grave as I had not done so since my arrival in Bombay. Quite by chance, as soon as I entered the graveyard, I bumped into my other cousin, Linnet, who was waiting there for a friend. We visited for a few minutes. I spent a while in prayer at Mum's grave and then made a lightning visit into St. Andrew's Church. This is the oldest church in Bombay and was built the same year as the Taj Mahal in the mid-1500s. Built in Portuguese style, its altar is simply spectacular.  Recently repainted and refurbished to coincide with the 500th anniversary of the church's existence, the altar and the interior of the church glow and are just stunning.
     I then walked along Chimbai Fishing Village towards my home. I find that while initially I felt uncomfortable in these more traditional, less developed, parts of Bandra, now I blend in completely--just as I did when I walked along 125th Street in Harlem in New York (much to everyone;s consternation). I needed to pick up a few things from my place for Dad. In five minutes, I was at Dad's place and visiting briefly with Russel who was keeping himself occupied watching TV (Crime Patrol). He continues to remain in good spirits and is simply delighted to be back home again.

Mass and Dinner: 
    Dad and I then left together for the 7.00 pm at St Anne's Church and returned home at 7.45 pm.  Dad needed some help filling some forms and reading out some letters he had received from his gas and phone companies.  I helped him out and then left as he got ready to take charge of Russel's dinner.
     Back home at my studio, I got ready for my own dinner--a repeat of my lunch with half a guava for dessert. I tried watching a couple of other shows on Netflix but without my British shows like Midsomer Murders, etc. I feel lost. I did find that there are a lot of British detective TV shows I can download on Hoopla on my I pad and I am hoping I will be able to transfer them to my TV as soon as the rest of my wiring is all done.
     At 10.30pm, I switched my light off and went to bed after what had seemed like a day that represented a return to routine to me.
     Until tomorrow...

No comments: