Saturday, September 1, 2018

Finally! I Have a Studio in Bombay that is my Own!

Saturday, September 1, 2018
Bombay

      Namaste from Bombay!
      Finally, the formalities associated with 'closing' the contract on my Bombay studio occurred today. It was a fairly lengthy process as I have a landlord who is a stickler for legal detail--not a bad thing overall. I reviewed a couple of drafts of the contract and asked for some alterations to be made--these were accommodated and accounts for the delay.
      I awoke, as usual, in the West End Hotel and after a shower, went down to breakfast in the Dining Hall.  I had occasion to meet the General Manager and owner of the hotel, a Mr. Ramani--a gracious elderly man in the mold of the Sindhi gentlemen I once knew and worked for as a Professor at Jai Hind College.  At least, I am guessing from his name, that he is a Sindhi.  I told him how delighted I was with my stay and how much I appreciated the services of his staff. He told me that many of them were with him for 20-30 years--this speaks highly of his prowess as a manager, but it also speaks of the loyalty of the staff and this was very evident to me. Everyone-from the Receptionists to the lift men--have been fantastic.  Yesterday, for instance, I asked for some hot water and salt to be sent up to my room as I have a bad throat irritation and cough (probably a result of Bombay's horrid air pollution). It was promptly brought up to me--ditto in the evening when I returned to the hotel. The breakfasts have been generous and delicious and superbly served by waiters who know their job and do it with graciousness and style. I will be telling everyone about his hotel now as well as reporting on it for Trip Advisor and Yelp. Just for the information of those of you interested, it costs Rs. 5,300 per night for single occupancy and Rs. 6,400 per night for double. This, at current exchange rates, is under $100 a night--so not a bad deal at all.
     After breakfast (a masala omelette, chicken sausage, cold roasted chicken and salami, fruit and hot coffee), I took the train and left for my Dad's place  It was going to be a red letter day for me as I had made plan to meet my landlord Sameer at the Registration coffee near Khar Telephone Exchange for the signing of our contract. My cousin Veera accompanied me (she is the realtor through whom I made the sighting). Sameer's mother, Razia, in whose name the Studio rests, was also present.  She is a lovely graceful lady who spoke perfect English and told me about her growing years in her maternal home in that building.  Indeed, the process was quite painless--if exceedingly lengthy because the computers were on the blink and there was a backlog. Still, although the time spend simply waiting for the procedure to occur was annoying, the actual signing told only a few minutes.  I was finger printed and photographed (formalities associated with the renting of premises in India by foreigners has tightened up considerably every since the terrorist attacks of 2008).
      But all said and done, I will awake tomorrow as a bonafide tenant in a studio in a building in Bandra that seems to be the answer to my prayers.  Of course, I will only know how well I will jell with the place after I have lived in it for about a week during which I shall unpack, settle down, make the essential purchases I need to render the place livable, etc.
      After we finished with the registration and closing to which Veera accompanied me, I returned home for a very late lunch with Dad.  I have now made arrangements to have the same meal home delivery service that Dad uses sent to me as well--three times a week, I shall receive a 'tiffin' that will be more than adequate for me for the week--or so I think.  If necessary, I shall supplement with take-out food from the Bandra Gymkhana (private club) which is on the next street and where I am a member.  It promises to be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the adventure of settling down in my new place in the same way that I had done in Hawai'i, London, Paris, etc.
      I took a nap in the afternoon while my Dad went off to the funeral of a parishioner. In the evening, I sat chatting a bit with him while the cricket Test match between India and England is currently absorbing his attention.  As we were not going for the 7.00 pm Mass tonight, I had an early dinner at Dad's and left for the hotel which I reached at 9.00 pm.
      Somehow I felt tired by the time I reached and could just about find the time to wash up and get ready for bed before the day ended.
       Until tomorrow...      


No comments: