Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Russel Has a Host of Visitors

Monday, September 17, 2018
Bombay

Russel Has a Host of Visitors!

     Namaste from Bombay!
     I did not have a frenzied morning because I had to wait until my tiffin was delivered at 10.45 am before I could go in for a shower and then leave for the hospital. As usual, I awoke at about 5.30 am and began blogging and attending to laptop-related tasks. Friends in the US and UK have been sending me precious email messages to which I have been responding. It has been a great source of support.
     After I had my muesli and coffee, I sat down to respond to work-related email. Suddenly, I have two major tasks ahead of me: I was sent the final proofs of the book on Goa that I submitted to the publisher, two years ago. This means a careful reading of all the pages--most of which I shall do while keeping vigil over my brother Russel in the hospital. I am also in the midst of drafting the plenary address that I have been invited to give at the conference in Hyderabad next month--which I would still like to attend unless things are too hairy in Bombay. I am hoping that Russel will be home and will be in the midst of routine rehab by the time I have to leave. Fingers crossed...I am ever the optimist.
     I made sandwiches for lunch for Dad and myself before leaving my studio for the hospital.  It is not that we do not enjoy the offerings from Hearsch Bakery--it is simply that I do not have the patience to stand in line for 35-45 minutes before I can make my order. Where is McDonald's when you need it, eh? Anyway....I made mango chutney and Amul cheese sandwiches on Theo Broma's multi-grain bread.  These are inspired by the famed cheese and pickle sandwiches to which I was introduced when I lived in the UK--there they use Branston 'pickle' which is really a sweet mango chutney.  I used a mango and raisin chutney made by a friend in Canada  named Anna who packed me off with two bottles of the stuff. I kept wondering what I would do with them--and then, hey presto, here comes the perfect opportunity to use it all up.  Dad absolutely adores my sandwiches and has been enjoying them for lunch during our hospital duty breaks.
     When my tiffin arrived, I was able to go in for a shower and I left for the hospital soon after.
     Russel was very quiet today. Yesterday, he was in finer fettle. Still, I think we all have good days and bad days--and today was probably a bad day for him. He slept a whole lot--most of the morning and most of the afternoon.  He also wanted to be horizontal for most of the day. Even sitting up, propped on his adjustable bed, is not something he seemed to enjoy today.
     While he was sleeping, I managed to get a ton of work done on my laptop. I reviewed and proof read one long essay and hope to do a couple more tomorrow. I also continued drafting the plenary address I will make in Hyderabad.  So I did get a lot done.
     In-between doctors and nurses kept trooping in--although, for the most art, Russel slept soundly. Dad and I took a break in the afternoon, after he had eaten his lunch, to go downstairs and eat ours. Dad had a coffee while I stayed with water--I cannot bear the thought of being awake all night as a result of drinking caffeinated coffee. Back upstairs, Dad tried to take a long nap on the hospital plank bed; but I think it was too hard on his back and he did not sleep too well, he said.
     The lovely family of Mr. Ram Kishen Sngh who had occupied the bed next to Russel's, left after exchanging contact details with us.  He has made a good recovery and was smiling widely as he parted. He has told us to call upon him at any time, should we ever need any help.  Since he owns a business in cars (a dealership of sorts), he offered to make a car available to us, anytime we would need one.  Once again, God sent us really wonderful people with whom we forged a good relationship.  His daughter Priyanka is very keen to stay in touch with me and I would be happy to do so.
    The bed next door was then occupied by a man called Paul D'Souza who told me that he had been suffering from chest pains. His nephew Melroy who is also a doctor practicing in Sweden flew down to admit him to hospital and take care of his case. I helped him with his afternoon coffee as he cannot walk too well. I also told him to call upon me if I can be of any assistance to him.
    At about 4.30 pm, the physiotherapist named Lenita D'Souza arrived bringing her lovely smiling face with her.  She told Russel that she would be showing him some muscle-strengthening exercises.  Luckily, Russel had already become familiar with these exercises about six months ago--he was, therefore, able to co-operate with her, much to her surprise.  At one stage, he told her that his leg was paining.  It was a matter of great joy to all of us to hear him say that and she too commented, "My goodness, Russel, this is the first time you have ever told me that you are feeling pain." We tried to impress upon Russel that if he ever feels pain, he should let her know. We received a positive feeling from this first physiotherapy session and hope it will be successful in achieving the result the doctors wish to see.
     In the evening, Russel had a spate of visitors. It started with my cousins Veera and Linnet who came together to see him. They were followed by Veera's brother Leslie. When Leslie left, my cousin Bonnie and her husband Herbie walked in--they had come for a funeral to nearby St. Peter's Church and stopped by after Mass. By the time they left it was 7.00 pm and Visiting Hours had ended. Later in the evening, just before dinner, Jon Ken arrived. He stayed for just ten minutes and left. While Russel was pleased to see all these folks, he was not in the mood to interact with anyone. He answers their questions in monosyllables. I am hoping very much that this low mood will disappear once he gets back home as he is clearly uncomfortable about being out of his milieu. The attendants continue to provide good service, day and night, and he has Dad and me to care for him and serve as his eyes and ears as he is unable to speak up for himself.
     After Russel finished his dinner at 8.00pm, Dad and I left the hospital. We took a rickshaw and got back home in 10 minutes after which I had my dinner while watching Line of Duty and feel asleep after dealing with some more work via email.
     Today made a week since Russel has been in hospital.  We are all hoping they will discharge him sooner rather than later.
     Until tomorrow...  

No comments: