Sunday, October 13, 2024

Medical Appointments, Visit to Pequot Library, Lunch at Duchess, Celebrating our Wedding Anniversary at Quatro Pazzi in Fairfield, Connecticut

Tuesday, August 27, 2024:

Fairfield, Connecticut

Medical Appointments, Visit to Pequot Library, Lunch at Duchess, Celebrating our Wedding Anniversary at Quatro Pazzi in Fairfield, Connecticut

Nothing much happened today, but the day turned exciting at the end as Today is a Red Letter Day for Llew and Me—it’s our wedding anniversary!

Appointment with an Endocrinologist:

After eating a hasty breakfast at Brett and Mary-Lauren’s (my own granola with yogurt for Llew and me), we left for our doctor’s appointments. We had a bunch of them today. My first one was at Trumbull at the office of my endocrinologist, Dr. Glenn Rich. He did a thorough examination today (as he always does) and, good news this, I got a clean bill of health as my osteoporosis seems to have declined and I am no longer thought to have it. Always an annual concern, this. He also monitored my meds, having taken a look at my bone density analysis (which was also fine) and told me to see him again after a year.

Off to the Pequot Library:

With some time to kill in-between medical appointments, we decided to make another trip to the Pequot Library. This time, we were far more successful. Not only did we meet the Director, our good friend, Stephanie Coakley, but we also met some of the staff who know us so well: Christine (who organized the talks I have given—in person and on zoom) and, for the first time, I met Charlie, who had been the host of my last zoom talk there. He joined the Library staff after Llew and I left Southport—hence, we had only made acquaintance with him, long-distance. It was great fun to go back into the stacks and meet our friend, Sandy, and to find a few new faces. New volunteers are always joining the Library’s cohort (as we had done nearly 40 years ago). I took pictures with all of them (to immortalize these moments).

Off to the Dentist:

Then, it was time for my annual dental appointment with Fairfield Dental Arts. Llew decided to accompany me so that we could have lunch right after I was done. It is always a pleasure to meet the staff at this dental practice as I have been with them for more than twenty years. I was lucky to get Dr. Jessalyn Fiorella herself, on this occasion, as one of her staff members was absent and she was filling in. She did my annual X-rays and then was excited to introduce me to a brand-new cleaning system that they have installed which uses hi-technology power-jets to produce deep cleaning through high-jet sprays. The manual cleaning of each tooth is now no longer required. I must say that I was really impressed with the new system and also with the thorough diagnostic report that I was given at the end. What’s more, as I discussed my acute dental sensitivity with her, she suggested she coat my teeth with a fluoride layer that will last for a year and will provide protection against some of the sensitivity I have been experiencing. I was really delighted to have such wonderful treatments so easily available when I have my annual check-ups. I was frank enough to tell the dentist that I would probably not have the time to do follow-up work in the US and would have to do it in India. She was very understanding, but despite not needing to do it herself, gave me a full and extensive report which I will only need to take to my dentist in India to get the work done. I am truly fortunate in the medical personnel who work with and for me.

Lunch at Duchess:

As we were really close to Duchess, one of my favorite fast-food chains, at Fairfield Circle, we decided to go there for their over-stuffed sandwiches which we both love. We had Chicken Parmesan & Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches which we shared. I must say that both Llew and I are having grave sticker shock at the prices of every item in the US today. There is no doubt at all that inflation has hit very hard and is reflected in the price of everything we buy—whether they are groceries, provisions or ready meals in restaurants. I am guessing that this will be a major factor in the coming US elections.

Rest and Relaxation After Lunch:

With nothing on the agenda this afternoon, we were able to get back home to Sturbridge Lane to Mary-Lauren’s. We had told Brett and Sage that we’d be taking them out to dinner as it was our wedding anniversary. Accordingly, we showered and had a chance to get some rest before it was time for us to keep our reservation appointment at Quatro Pazzi which was their choice for a nice Italian dinner.

Champagne Toast at Home and Dinner at Quatro Pazzi:

When Brett got back from work, in the evening, we opened a bottle of champagne (from the stock that we had actually left behind in their home). Sage was also present and we had a lovely toast during which we thanked them for hosting us and for a very comfortable stay.

Just a little later, we drove to Fairfield Center and found lovely seats at Quatro Pazzi where the portions are huge and the food simply delicious. We had Buratta with Pesto, Prosciutto and Roasted Red Peppers for a shared appetizer. Our Mains were: Capellini with Peas and Prosciutto (Sage), Rigatoni Burrata (Brett), Farfalle with Shrimp (Llew) and Linguine Pescatore (Rochelle). What a superly scrumptious meal it was! However, as expected, our pasta portions were humongous and Llew and I ended up taking half of our plates home in doggie bags.

Not to leave Dessert out, we then made our way to the Dairy Queen kiosk on the Post Road and ended up having wonderful Blizzards (my favorite type of ice-cream). These brought the curtain down on a very special wedding anniversary for us.

Until tomorrow, cheerio…

No comments: